Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Jordan Bridge this morning and picked up 7 on a silver rattle trap casting from the shore. Remember, the fish are already cold and wet. The snow won't bother them.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Jordon Bridge runs between Chesapeake and Portsmouth on the southern branch of the Elizabeth River. Get on I 464 and take the Poindexter Exit west toward the river [you'll see it]. Just before you get to the bridge there is a turn to the left that takes you to a launching ramp and a park area that you can fish from shore. If you have a boat, it's only about 100 yds to the bridge and I've seen many people make good catches around the base of the bridge.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
...and that's on my way to work. I can always say I was late because of the bridge lift.
Hey Advisor, how's that spot the rest of the year? And thanks for that info!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have never striper fished on the elizabeth, but I grew up on that river and would like to.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I work downtown and occasionally walk during lunch around Waterside, USS Wisconsin, etc. This past fall, I saw tons of 8-12" stripers and finger mullet hanging by the rocks around the rocks by the battleship. You would have never seen that a couple of years ago.
They're in the Elizabeth. I saw guys slaying little ones around the Granby St bridge earlier (from a bass boat). It looked fun catching them on UL tackle.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
There is definitely Striper fishing on the pristine Elizabeth River!! I have worked at two of the local Shipyards by the Berkley Bridge (1/4 mi. from the Jordan) for the last 25 yrs. It has really cleaned up in the last 10-15 yrs. with the help of the few Environmental laws and the River Star programs. I've seen Dolphins every year and Sea Turtles the last couple, not to mention every kind of fish known to Tidewater. Used to fish all the time, right off the boat docks, and have caught Stripers up to 37" and over 20lbs. right here. FM 99 has their Striper Tournament right up the river off PETA's dock,, which is only a 1/4 mi. upriver, every year. Everyone says the river is too polluted and nothing will live in it but this is one fisherman that knows different.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Forgot to mention the boatramp @ the Jordan is one of the best spots to launch to get to the Hot Ditch and it's city owned (free), not to mention just a 10 min. boat ride from the ditch.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha!,
Looks like I started something. I thought the Jordan Bridge was pretty well known.
To chest2head&glassy:
Glad to help. So far as the rest of the year, I have heard that some croaker are caught in the early spring. I do know that there are stripers there year round as I've seen them, even in the hot summer.
jayb is right about the river being cleaned up. I also worked at NNSY, boat operator, and have seen great improvement over the last 20 years.
To Rockhead;
You should try it. If you have a boat, it's a great place to launch and fish all the bridges and get to the hot ditch. I've see some people trolling out there; but, don't know how they did.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
thats really interesting. I agree the river is improving, although a couple of years back i would regularly catch white perch w/ tumors, but hey I grew up eating crabs outta the river and Im still alive so who knows...I just keep wondering why I have 13 fingers and 22 toes? :confused:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I learned to waterski on that river and took all my sailing classes at ODU back in the 80's. We would joke about seeing two headed mullet because how polluted the river was.
Glad to see and hear it has improved.
Hmmm, I might have to leave my waders at home and try tossing some rat-l-traps this weekend at that spot.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I know for a fact what used to be put in the river (everything) and I know what is allowed to be put in the river now (nothing). Between the state and federal water controll boards you'd better not be caught putting anything in the water now. Most of the pollutants are in the mud of the riverbed which sometimes gets stirred up but if you target anything besides bottom feeders you'll probably be OK eating them in small amounts so long as they don't look obviosly diseased.Besides when you buy fish or crabs from the market you don't know where they came from!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's true the whole program I watched on ESPN2 this AM was on cold water fishing, and not to give up just because there's a little snow on the ground.

However, I'm more of a fair-weather fisherman so my eyes are headed toward a couple FLA trips I've got coming up, and maybe going to one of the upcoming boatshows to look around

THROW MORE BACK

Jake Ace

1 - 13 of 13 Posts