Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new shimano FX80MHB2 8' MH spinning rod the other day... I've had one before and liked it, but I didn't keep it long enough to really test it.
This time, my first day out with it, I got hung up on a snag and started to pull, jerked, moved around, pulled harder, and SNAP!!! like a twig... it broke just above the 2pc joint.

I had 12lbs test line on it and it is rated for 12-25lbs (3/4 - 4oz)so I am sure the line shoulda broke before the rod.

I'm guess its possible I just got a bad one, but I don't think I'll be buying another one any time soon, and I don't recommend anybody else get one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it from Academy Sports, I'll try and return it... Any info on how they work would be helpful. But I'll report back however it goes.

It did come with a 1 year shimano warranty, If returning to Academy doesn't work, I'll go that route. but it could take a few weeks to resolve.

This was a cheap rod to begin with, but I am no stranger to cheap rods. I've only had one other rod break before, and it was over 20 years old and had been through hell... I gave it the benefit of the doubt :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
do you think you put too much stress on the rod attempting to free the snag? You need to let some line out and reposition yourself to see if you can free the snag and you need to point the rod tip down at the snag and put the stress on the reel and not all on the rod. I've been hung up many times fishing structure in Jersey so I know your pain and frustration with the rod.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yep DNICE we call that High Sticking. Not a good scenario.I have seen some High Dollar Stixs snap when trying to use them as a winch.
You should have no issue with a replacement rod.
I love the Shimano Rods I have.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I just watched a guy snap a Penn Pursuit today while trying to swing a big spanish over the rail. I really wanted to tell him he should have bought a Shimano.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the ferrules snugged down well when I started, but its possible they could of loosed up when I was trying to get the snag out.

I was putting a bit of pressure on the rod, but I don't believe it was enough that should of broke the rod. Snags are an everyday thing where I fish and I have plenty of practice getting them undone (or not) and have never broke my cheap shakespear rods rated for half the wieght of that shimano.

Shouldn't the 12lbs line broke first no matter what?

Anyway, Shimano is going to replace it, no hassles, customer service was nice.
Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
477 Posts
AI am glad to see that it worked out for you....I have a 7.5 foot Teramar that works just fine...Have not had any problems with it...I hope that that one you had was just a one off...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too hope it was just a bad one, shimano usually makes good stuff, even their less expensive gear is better than a lot of other stuff out there.

I guess the 'don't buy warning' was a little extreme :/ so I hope I didn't put anybody off of buying their products, especially since they were so kind to replace it.

·
Banned
229 Posts
A $19 rod is a $19 rod no matter who makes it. I love Shimano products . I have everything from spinning reels to TLD's , Calcuttas , Toriums , Tekotas , etc. Don't skimp on the rod. Those TX rods are junk , just like the TX reels . Good for children or a newb that just might not get the fishing bug.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bummer your rod broke.

If I get snagged, ill wrap the line around my forearm up to my elbow and walk straight back until either the line snaps or the hook pulls thru. Wearing a long sleeve of course.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.