Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you catch and keep a snook this year, please donate your filleted carcass to one of the participating bait and tackle stores. These carcasses will be sampled by FWC biologists for length, sex, age, and genetics.

If you donate your carcass, please leave the internal organs intact and do not break the backbone.

The following Brevard County stores are equipped to hold carcasses:
Whitey's Bait and Tackle - 9030 Hwy A1A, Melbourne Beach
Sebastian Inlet Bait and Tackle - 9700 S A1A, Melbourne Beach

Good Luck out there .

For More information regarding this program or east coast snook, please contact Jim Whittington at our Tequesta Field Lab.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
We've got a similar program up here in GA for most of our popular inshore species, bass, flounder, trout, whiting, etc. I think it's a great way for the DNR to study fish populations and the like.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yea...Last summer I was interviewed by a DNR survey lady....told me about the carcass thing. And when I was cleaning my catch she disected the head of one of my Black Drum and showed me the thing in their head called a oduim(sp). The oduim is what they use to make sound with and she could tell the age and sex by slicing this thing open. Drum, trout, and a few other fish have these things....they use it to locate a mate. Kinda srange to learn that some fish have mating calls. Gave me an idea....make a "call" similer to turky/duck and call em' in. Maybe one of you smart guys out there could come up with something. :p

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I'm not sure about that whole fish mating call thing. The last thing I want is to be the object of amorous desires for a school of monster reds. Hmmm, or anything else when I am butt-deep in the surf for that matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts