Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit: I'm a sucker for gadgets. So when I saw the new Humminbird SmartCast, I knew I had to get my hands on one.

Apparently, the way it works is you have a wireless transducer that you can tie to your line and cast anywhere, then you can read the bottom on the depthfinder unit. Do you guys see any value in this contraption in being able to see the bottom where you're throwing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I definitely see some value in this. I would be worried about durability, and I don't know how much it costs.

I think it would be useful for shorebound anglers. It would let you look for fish/holes/etc. Neat and useful little gadget.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Flea,

I read about this last night in my fishing catalog (Cabela's). One problem is the range that the portable transducer can be away from the receiver - 100'. This will be good for piers, lakes, and reservoirs but will be usless for surf fishing or bay fishing requiring longer casts.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Dang,
what if it gets snagged?

And your monthly plan would cost you as much as a cell phone? No way.

Now if they could give you service and somehow bundle it with cell phone service, then I'd consider it.

But, it does look like it would be pretty useful. A nice to have for every rich fishing yuppie.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been seeing this thing around here and there. I think its a neat idea, but needs to be developed a lot further. :rolleyes: 1) It has a relatively short range. 2) How would it hold up in saltwater? 3) What happens if you get half a dozen yahoos all out there with their portable fish finders casting in a million different directions (only comes in 2 frequencies)? 4)Loss- if you're like me you're eventually going to snap one off or snag up- even if you don't the transducers have a limited life- at the current 25$ /transducer it could get pricey over time. 5) What kind of battery life do you get with AA batteries? 6)What happens when a bluefish on crack nails the poop out of it just because it's there? :eek:

Seems like it might be great for occassional pond fishing, but I don't know about much more. :) :D :cool:

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
6)What happens when a bluefish on crack nails the poop out of it just because it's there?

Aren't they ALL on crack?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Salty--the transducer is water proof and is made of plastic, so I don't imagine salt water could hurt it. But can you imagine what we'd have seen on that screen the night of the giant stripers out on the Seagull? It could also be a great way to cheat into big fish like cobia--cast a fan pattern off the end of a pier like the seagull and when a big fish is marked, cast a bucktail to the spot...okay, so it may not be the best fishing invention in history but I love little gadgets like this. And it's not that expensive compared to other fishfinders--I think Bass Pro had it for around $160.

It could also be helpful in prospecting a beach for holes and sloughs on a calm day at high tide when it's tough to read the beach.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hope they come with spare detector thingys. Imagine what would happen if you snagged and lost the only one. On the other hand, you get the upper hand. You could stray away from the crowds at the popular fishing spots and find your only little holes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, label me suspect, but I'm always open to ideas. I have often wondered what may be out there that can't be seen, but I am still leaning towards the -this is a smallwater thing.

160$ isn't a bad initial price- especially considering you'll probably have to get a new transducer every year or so.

I guess I'll just have to try it out, so when are you bringing it down? :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know I would lose one Transducer thingy every time I go freshwater.I always lose a lure or 2 or 3.No short cast for me if you know what I mean. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I just bought new snorkeling gear, so I think I'm gonna swim out and find my drum holes this year............ :p

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
GEE

Just take all the fun out of fishing , rod n reel and a pak o squid , blood n , cut Ill find out whether they biting or not dont relly care to seem m til I bank m ;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
My brother had one and we returned it. I think he got it online for like $130-140 or so. It's great for freshwater if the surface is calm. It's not that accurate but it will show you the bottom structure and fish are only 2 sizes, large and small. This is considering a bluegill is "large". Losing is shouldn't be a problem cause it's like a heavy bobber. It only floats on the surface where there's nothing to snag unless you have branches in the water. As for saltwater use, we tried it out on a beach and couldn't get a single reading. The water wasn't that choppy but still, nothing on the LCD. Unless you're looking for fish right up under the pier on an extremely calm day it's not a good product for saltwater. We decided to return it after only a few outings. It's simply not worth $160. That and it takes away from fishing cause you gotta cast and retrieve it constantly in order for it to work.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sand Flea, Dick's sporting goods has one with a wrist watch type screen for $89. Small but it should still show you a hole or structure. I've been thinking about it for ponds. There are many fish whitin 100' in the ocean but we cast over them all the time. Thats the reason the little old ladies in the lawn chairs always outfish most of us.

Tight lines...

Ken

·
Registered
270 Posts
This thing might be useful in figureing out the bottom structure, but I think the bottom of the beach shifts a lot so you might spend more time with the dohicky than fishing. Would like to try it for freshwater tho..

·
Registered
432 Posts
My luck, a striper would eat it and while he swims back to the school...it will show a whole punch of fish just outta my castin' range:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts