Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
shrimp..they good to eat too...i ate them in spain,they are common there...never seen one that big though lol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
from what i read it sounds like you're lucky it didn't attack you!!!!!!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Some info on your little buddy Koz,

Aptly named Mantis Shrimps or Mantid Lobsters, or squillids, this group of predatious crustacea capture prey with large powerful raptorial limbs, just like the insect preying mantids do. Adult shrimps may be 30cms long. Deep well formed holes lined with salivory mucus to keep walls intact. Some produce a flexible lid or sphincter, of sand and saliva which partly closes the tube. Mostly active at night these ferocious characters lunge from their tubes to grab over-swimming fish and almost any other suitable victim.

The eyes of stomatopods are the most sophisticated in the animal kingdom. Each eye and eye stalk has bifocal (3-D) vision. Each compound eye being dumbell shaped and capable of detecting three different polarisations of light.

The late larval stages are beautifully transparent and are active predators in the plankton community. the group exhibits two types of larval development, the earlier stages of which are passed in the burrow. The later stages leading to the alima stage become more like the adult and prior to settling out, after six weeks or so in the plankton, they may be five centimetres long and as transparent as glass.

In Bermuda, Mantid shrimps are called 'split-thumb' or 'split-toe' because of their ferocious habit of striking at human interlopers!

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I have one running around my coral reef aquarium at home. Stupid little bugger keeps killing fish.

I wish there was a way to get them alive in good numbers. I've never seen a cobia cut open that wasn't packed with them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Man if i saw someone pull one of them out i think id start running away screamin "alien!!!" that or step on it thinkin that it was like a jumbo cockroach or somethin

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Incidentally, they're often referred to as "thumb splitters" by some folks because of their ability to throw out a little spear that will slash you to the bone. Nasty, nasty little critter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Mantis

:) Hi Koz, We're neighbors....... I live a bit north, in Cocoa... I was down in your neck of the woods this weekekend, trying to get away from that wind. Rode 'till I ran out of radio, which ended up being in Wabasso. Stopped in Long Point, and popped in at the Inlet. Wasn't too productive, but i had fun, as usual. The boys down around 13th Street and the pier are in heaven, since the waves are crankin, but I will be glad when the wind lays down some. Back to the Mantis........Did you catch it? And where at? I didn't see any blood on the cooler lid, so I'm guessing you were able to out-manuever him.;)
Suz

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Redsgurl glad to here from a local P&S member . I cant wait for the surf to settle myself. If it wasn't for the river to pick up the need to wet a line I would be one unhappy camper. I did not catch that critter just wanted to see how many people new what the dang thing was.:) I belive it was caught in the gulf. Keep us posted as to whats going on up the beach on the florida region ,
it sure would be appreciated.

Take Care

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hear ya ........... I lived at the river this weekend, and didn't do too well. Someone forgot to tell the trout that we aren't allowed to play together, coz that's all I caught.:eek: If this wind ever dies down, maybe I will have some news.:) Was wonderin though, if you have seen this page. The good 'ole FWC is considering amending the reg's concerning the Redfish. All of a sudden, they are majorly concerned with culling. The tournament promoters must be kickin......The three or four visits from the Red Fish Tour, The October Hunt, etc...... Wonder if "The wrong person" was cited... ?:D Anyway, here's the link. It is only six questions, wont take a minute and a half.

http://www.votations.com/asp/survey.asp?pollid=105094

·
Registered
210 Posts
Biggest concern-what percent of captured and released fish die. Hard to answer.

Beach sucks for almost 2 weeks now. Wind rarely less than 15 mph and have lost some beach as well. No birds nor baitfish seen. Weeds everywhere. Boooooooooo.

Doing a bass fishing charter this weekend in Orlando--that is real desperation!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts