Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Question

I have never used a metal sandspike. What makes this design, or similar metal designs, better than the four foot peice of PVC that I have been using? The metal design looks heavier, and could have sharp edges. The metal design is (I assume) more expensive and labor intensive to build.

So, what are the advantages?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. If you use aluminum, they're no heavier than pvc and may be lighter.

2. Those aren't screwheads, they appear to be rivits and, they poke out on the outside of the angle. I suppose you could wels everything and not have anything poking out.

3. The only sharp or semi-sharp edge should be the point that goes into the sand, rocks, etc.

This particular design incorporates a step towards the bottom of the spike that you can step on to get it down in the sand or rocks.

Metal spikes are to me, a little easier to get into the sand. I hadn't thought of having someplace to step on till I saw these.

I've seen similar designs which call for 2 short pieces of pvc bolted towards the top of the spike, spaced apart to hold the rod rather than the flat bar shown on these.

I've also seen one's where the angle is in 2 parts and bolts together for ease of transport.

I think if we see more alternatives, whether it be sand spikes, carts, or whatever, we can adapt them to meet our needs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant weld, not wels :(

Yes, more labor intensive, probably more expensive. Haven't made 'em yet. I do think I'll add a step to my cobbled up angle spikes though. I made mine from aluminum scrap I had laying around along with donations from my old pvc spikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts