Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Waal, abedangd, there that sucker is. Note: picture is kinda squashed, it's a 5 gal bucket. Rope is stored inside bucket. Note 1 broken ziptie to easily replace. Flotation ring is partly visible white/red object under lid.

Thanks for thread ref. for posting pics.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Well, I finished my bait bucket Tuesday night.

I really didn't want to spend any money on this project, so I just used what I had around the house.

I ended up using a 1/2" drill bit for the holes. That's the largest bit I had that woulda worked on plastic.

So 1/2" it is.

I took Lackawits' advise and drilled holes around the entire bucket, including the bottom. No 3" or 4" of room on the bottom for the fishes to swim when I pull it up.

That's OK, I'm not as old as Drumdum. I can get them fishes back in the water before they die. :p

I used a 5' section of 1/2" nylon rope for the handle. I tied a figure-8 knot loop in the middle to attach the drop line.

To secure the new rope handle to the bucket, I just used double overhand knots on the inside. Obviously, that makes the ends of the rope handle bigger than the 1/2" holes, and (I hope) keeps the handle on the bucket. I do feel this handle is the weak link in the project. There's gotta be a better knot for this, but I think the double overhands will hold. I didn't use rubber grommets like Twagon did, either. But it's gonna take awhile for any jagged plastic to cut through a 1/2" nylon rope.

At least I think.

I did use a Gamma Seal Lid for the top. That top's gonna work well, IMHO.

I tied another figure-8 loop in the drop line. I will use a loop-to-loop connection to attach the handle to the drop chord.

That's about it. I'll try and post some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
jeezus..a thread which a bait bucket will eventually be lost, stolen or dumped from NJ's truck!

J/K.... NJ...pretty werk...how ya gonna tell yer kids you used there bucket? :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have two different buckets for different baits

i have one for my eels which has 3/8 inch holes
one for spot with 1 inch holes :fishing:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The places I'll be taking mine are up to 30' above the water, so I'd probably need about 50' of rope, considering the thickness of the supports, deck and rail height. Once I see if there's way too much, I'd trim it off if it got in the way.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Came across this interesting looking DIY bait bucket contraption this morning.

FYI...I'd suggest not to enlarge the picture. :eek:
One more thing....after I clicked the link, I used the print screen function from the computer keyboard to save a copy of the image. It didn't come out super sized that way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hang in the water.

I do have a few ideas on how I'm going to build this thing.

I plan on drilling 3/8" (or maybe a little bigger??) holes in the bucket about 1" apart. Enough for the bucket to take on enough water to sink rather quickly.

I'm not going to drill any holes lower that 6" or so from the bottom. That way the fish will have some water left after I put it on the planks.

I plan on using a screw-on Gamma Seal Lid to keep the top on. I saw someone using this lid on a pier somewhere ... it might have been Demonfish??? Here's a link:

http://www.gammaplastics.com/GSL_Flyer.pdf

I am planning to cut the stock metal handle off. I am considering using a thick poly ot nylon rope as a replacement handle, but that's one area I would like some ideas.

Last but not least, I am looking for a good way to attach the drop rope to the "new" rope handle. I guess I could tie a loop knot in the handle and attach the drop chord to the handle loop??
Sounds like you have it figured out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Before anyone goes to cutting the ropes on their bait buckets make sure you will have enough length of rope at dead low tide. You will need the extra and if not thinking you can whack off too much depending when you decide to happen to check that day. Long enough to have some extra probably to wrap with if you want to and got it.

From experience.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts