Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would not use one previously used for chlorine sticks. The stabilizer in them seep into the plastic. The granular chlorine is ok though as it doesn't contain the stabilizer. At least this is what I have been warned from a pool chem supplier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
10 gal

i have been using the same bucket about 10 years-had to replace the screw on lid, i tie a big swivil from lid and connect it to the holes so the lid will not unscrew itself, also but a 2 lb rubber bar bell in the bottom so ikeep it close to the bottom in july,aug. i usually keep 6 blues in it, also keep 4 n of water as i usually pull bucket and put on live bait and then put the bucket back over

·
Registered
340 Posts
Teo, got plenty to spare, might even have one a little bigger. Give me a call when your in town and I'll hook you up..

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you have one laying around, hook me up too. I had one, a bd gift from my buddy, lent it to Neil. I ain't see it in a year and doesn't look like I'm getting it back either.
I used that bucket with Neil on Avalon last Fall.

Works purdy well. :p

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, bro.

I moved from Sandfiddler Road to Pleasure House Road May 1.

If you wanna meet me at LIP Monday you won't have to twist my arm ... .

Whatever's easiest for you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I noticed McMaster Carr has a variety of sizes with locking twist on tops.
“UN-Compliant Plastic Shipping Pails with Easy-Open Twist-Lock Lids”

I had a few short ones to give away at the spring fling but have not gotten any since then.

·
Registered
990 Posts
DIY Bait Bucket

I use a 6 gallon Dry Wall bucket which fits inside another drywall bucket. I drill holes in the inner bucket for water as the others do.

I bought a lid that fits on a drywall bucket with a cute little trap door h a hole for an aerator hose. It even has a little clip on the side to hold the little aerator. I don't remember where I got it.

I've been using this contraption for some time an dit works.

Yes; I take the inner bucket out to hang it in the water. When transporting bait, I use the buckets inside the other.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jeff,

Good luck with the bucket project. Mine works very well for king fishing on Gulf Panhandle piers. It consists of a 5 gallon Home Depot plastic bucket. The lid can be obtained inexpensively from this web site:

http://www.magicproducts.com/accessories.htm

It's called No. 1531 bucket lid.

I drilled 96 holes, approx. 3/8 diam., in a pattern in the sides of the bucket for water flow. The pattern ends 3" from the bottom, so it won't be too heavy to lift, and holds a little water for the baits when up.

I drilled 4 holes in the bucket's reinforced collar, 2 holes 5" apart on opposite sides. Home Depot sold rubber grommets which fit these holes and also fit the bucket rope diameter. The grommets prevent chafing the rope harness and losing the bucket.

Here's the key element of my bucket: I went to a crafts store and got a styrofoam ring for holiday wreaths. Its outside diameter is about 9 or 10" and inside diameter about 6". It's about 2" thick. It fits under the bucket lid. I wrapped it in vinyl tape and zip tied it under the bucket lid. Then I zip tied the bucket lid onto the bucket.

I finish the rig by putting a 4oz. pyramid sinker in the bucket so the bucket sinks down and floats upright on the styrofoam ring. That way the bucket stays in the water, and doesn't just hang on the rope.

I've been very happy with it. I've got a picture, but I don't know how to attach it.

-Twagon

·
Registered
97 Posts
How do you attach the rope handle. The wire handles aren't going to cut it for me. Do you put the rope through two holes in the bucket?

Pictures of some of these bucket designs would be helpful, I've seen some nices ones made fro a laundry basket also...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took some of the soft nylon bucket rope and made a harness. I estimate it's about six feet of rope. I've got two sets of holes on opposite sides of the bucket's collar. The holes are about 5" apart. I threaded the rope through one set with the ends going from inside out, so the center of the harness rope is on the inside, between the two holes. Then I threaded the free ends ,from outside in, into the other set of holes, tying the tag ends together, so the knot is inside the bucket. This leaves a double loop of rope above the bucket, to which I tie the bucket rope.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I took some of the soft nylon bucket rope and made a harness. I estimate it's about six feet of rope. I've got two sets of holes on opposite sides of the bucket's collar. The holes are about 5" apart. I threaded the rope through one set with the ends going from inside out, so the center of the harness rope is on the inside, between the two holes. Then I threaded the free ends ,from outside in, into the other set of holes, tying the tag ends together, so the knot is inside the bucket. This leaves a double loop of rope above the bucket, to which I tie the bucket rope.
OK, I'm a little slow. :D

I lost ya on the handle.

Here's a link on how to post pics on P&S. I'd like to see a pic of yer rope handle if you have the time.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22154

·
Registered
32 Posts
Didn't seem to work. I'd be glad to email the pic as an attachment to anyone who could post it on the site tomorrow. Just send me an email address. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts