Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to build a DIY live bait bucket for the pier.

I plan to make it out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket.

Does anyone have any pics of theirs or even some tips on how they built one?

I've seen several ways to make them, and I'm just trying to get some ideas for mine.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hang in the water.

I do have a few ideas on how I'm going to build this thing.

I plan on drilling 3/8" (or maybe a little bigger??) holes in the bucket about 1" apart. Enough for the bucket to take on enough water to sink rather quickly.

I'm not going to drill any holes lower that 6" or so from the bottom. That way the fish will have some water left after I put it on the planks.

I plan on using a screw-on Gamma Seal Lid to keep the top on. I saw someone using this lid on a pier somewhere ... it might have been Demonfish??? Here's a link:

http://www.gammaplastics.com/GSL_Flyer.pdf

I am planning to cut the stock metal handle off. I am considering using a thick poly ot nylon rope as a replacement handle, but that's one area I would like some ideas.

Last but not least, I am looking for a good way to attach the drop rope to the "new" rope handle. I guess I could tie a loop knot in the handle and attach the drop chord to the handle loop??

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I used a 1" holesaw for mine. I only use it for bigger baits for pin-rig fishing. 6" off the bottom will be kinda heavy, it won't be out of the water long enough to hurt the bait. I think mine is 3" or so. I'll get some pics and post up tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
With smaller holes, would this work good for shrimp and smaller mud minnows and whatnot, if the holes are 1/4 - 3/8th inch or maybe larger and the inside lined with some kind of mesh to cover the holes but let them drain? Think ya might have just saved me from buying an aerator, thanks.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
With smaller holes, would this work good for shrimp and smaller mud minnows and whatnot, if the holes are 1/4 - 3/8th inch or maybe larger and the inside lined with some kind of mesh to cover the holes but let them drain? Think ya might have just saved me from buying an aerator, thanks.
Problem with that is, all your minnows will always swim following the sides and will hurt themselves and die.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AD, now that you mention the weight of 6" of water I think you are right.

I get tired of pullin' those things up and down all day when there's no room at the bottom.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
AD, now that you mention the weight of 6" of water I think you are right.

I get tired of pullin' those things up and down all day when there's no room at the bottom.
Right, like I said mine is only 3" or so and by the time you get it up there's just enough water to keep bait wwet so the slime stays on the fish. I've kept 8-10 nice Bluefish in it all night and day.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Ah, alrighty thanks. I'll pick up an aerator then. :fishing:
Round bucket and aerator is all you need. At Wally World you can get these 7 gallon or so buckets that have foam liners in them there perfect because you need to keep the water as cool as possible for longer life. This is as important as the air supply

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
look around for a bait bucket style lid with a latch that will either fit right onto your bucket or you could buy one of those 2 dollar buckets and take the lid off your bucket cut a hole in it and bolt the latch lid on it...

I've never had any problems with the wire handle on mine... make sure you countersink the holes on the inside of your bucket after you drill the holes or your bait will scale itself in a heartbeat... 3-4" of water is all you need and 3/8th holes drain fast, plus changes water good enough to keep your bait alive...

you might want to think about some kind of flotation in the lid to keep the bucket upright in the water also... keeps it from rolling on the side bumping a piling and the latch opens letting all your bait out...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
ez to make jeff, i use mine almost every day in the summer, for the last 2 years.

3/4" holes all around it, even the bottom. 2 8oz frog tongues zip tied to the bottom inside of the bucket to keep ur bucket straight up and down even in current on the pier.

i put holes in the bottom of my bucket, why? because when you go to pull it, it takes about 2 seconds for all the water to be gone, and it pulls like a breeze. i never understood why you would want to leave 4-6" of water in the bucket, alot of guys do, but i see no point in it, when im getting ready to put the bucket right back in the water in 5 seconds.

my bucket feels like air when ur pulling it up.

OH, buy the best rope you really feel like buying. that cheap yellow plastic feeling stuff, is horrid on ur hands. the more expensive rope slides good, doesnt burn the hell out of ur hands, etc

Jesse

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jeff, use a bucket from a pool company with the screw on lid. I think they are around 6 gallons or so. If you need one i have a few spares and plenty more in sandbridge, if you would like one. Let me know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use a 5 gallon bucket with a small D battery aerator (sp?). You have to change the water only because it gets too hot, the O2 is fine.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I have both types...over the side and an insulated 2 1/2-3 gallon for on the pier...I sometimes use both at the same time depending on the bait...when using the pier bucket I always use a bubbler and cool it down with ice in a plastic bag...I still change the water when it looks like it needs it(bubbles start sitting on top, cloudy,etc)...hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Jeff,I got Tater set up with one of those screw on types like Wilson suggested.. Used to use the kind that ya made a latch for,but the screw on type is da chit compaired to that..

Jesse's got ya on the right track with the rope,size of the holes,and sinkers,imo.. I've been thinkin on the rope handle,not sure if the plastic job's gonna hold up.. Handed down my ole stainless 4 prong shark gaff that ain't missed a king or cobe from the 70's,when there were some fish to catch.. Gave him my ole kunan 7'er and a tld 25 for his fight'n rod,he's got his drum tackle for the anchor. Rod racks on his bike for the ride to Frisco.. :D
I like leavin the 3" of water in there,cause I don't move as fast gettin the rascal on the hook as I used to,and it could be dead time I get back to puttin it in the water..:rolleyes::p Good excercise fer Tater too.. :D

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Jeff,I got Tater set up with one of those screw on types like Wilson suggested.. Used to use the kind that ya made a latch for,but the screw on type is da chit compaired to that..

Jesse's got ya on the right track with the rope,size of the holes,and sinkers,imo.. I've been thinkin on the rope handle,not sure if the plastic job's gonna hold up.. Handed down my ole stainless 4 prong shark gaff that ain't missed a king or cobe from the 70's,when there were some fish to catch.. Gave him my ole kunan 7'er and a tld 25 for his fight'n rod,he's got his drum tackle for the anchor. Rod racks on his bike for the ride to Frisco.. :D
I like leavin the 3" of water in there,cause I don't move as fast gettin the rascal on the hook as I used to,and it could be dead time I get back to puttin it in the water..:rolleyes::p Good excercise fer Tater too.. :D
those kunans are the heat!!!!!!! i saw one for sale last summer in a shop near me, used but insanely nice condition, and i kick myself for not getting it, the action on them is great.

and the screw on lids, yeah they are nice. im waiting for this big 10 gallon pool chemical bucket at work to be empty, its got a screw on lid :D :D put 4 big fat blues in there and not worry about it :D

Jesse

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Jeff, use a bucket from a pool company with the screw on lid. I think they are around 6 gallons or so. If you need one i have a few spares and plenty more in sandbridge, if you would like one. Let me know.
If you have one laying around, hook me up too. I had one, a bd gift from my buddy, lent it to Neil. I ain't see it in a year and doesn't look like I'm getting it back either.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts