Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a light to use on some piers I fish and be able to take on boat as well. After looking at some available online, I really didnt want to pay that much and I saw that there were some pretty good ideas out there for the do it yourself'r. So I built one. Its just under 2' long with 600 led's. I had an old plastic container that I used for holding eels and made into a battery box that can strap on a pier piling. A small 12v is all thats needed to run it.
IMG_20150130_180159.jpg
Minus those couplings in the pic that I didnt use, the parts are simple and there are many ways to build it. Amazon has the led light strips and the acrylic tube. In all it can be built for under $50. Light strip is 16' wrapped around 1" pvc then secured inside clear tube using large washers glued on the 1" pvc pipe ends. I used a plastic epoxy from loctite for the joints. Used a waterproof cable gland on the end cap, epoxy inside and out.
IMG_20150203_202706.jpg
Ive submerged it in the bath tub and all seems fine. Gonna attach a little weight to the end so it will sink right and then try it out in the river. I may plasti-dip the ends to cover all joints for extra protection but well see.
IMG_20150203_201641.jpg

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I wanted a light to use on some piers I fish and be able to take on boat as well. After looking at some available online, I really didnt want to pay that much and I saw that there were some pretty good ideas out there for the do it yourself'r. So I built one. Its just under 2' long with 600 led's. I had an old plastic container that I used for holding eels and made into a battery box that can strap on a pier piling. A small 12v is all thats needed to run it.

Minus those couplings in the pic that I didnt use, the parts are simple and there are many ways to build it. Amazon has the led light strips and the acrylic tube. In all it can be built for under $50. Light strip is 16' wrapped around 1" pvc then secured inside clear tube using large washers glued on the 1" pvc pipe ends. I used a plastic epoxy from loctite for the joints. Used a waterproof cable gland on the end cap, epoxy inside and out.

Ive submerged it in the bath tub and all seems fine. Gonna attach a little weight to the end so it will sink right and then try it out in the river. I may plasti-dip the ends to cover all joints for extra protection but well see.

Excellent !

Do you have more pics during construction and links to LED strips, etc. ?

Maybe write up a tutorial ?

Tight Lines !

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is about as tutorialistic as I get. I didnt take any more pics but its pretty straight forward. Always more than one way to do things.
Here is a link to the LED
link for the tube
cable gland (fits standard extension cord outside diameter) there are other sizes depending on the cable you use.
The rest of the parts can be found at the hardware store. Im happy to answer any specific questions on how I did it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just used a broken extension cord that I had. Make sure its the exterior use type. Cant recall the gauge but it had to be something like 14, 16, or 18. Either would be fine in my opinion.
I used my light not too long ago and within 15 minutes a nice bait ball formed and stayed on it for a long time. I hooked it up to a small 12v bat and since the led draws little juice, it lasts a long time. I also found that it took around 14 ounces to hold it on the bottom. battery like this here

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I just used a broken extension cord that I had. Make sure its the exterior use type. Cant recall the gauge but it had to be something like 14, 16, or 18. Either would be fine in my opinion.
I used my light not too long ago and within 15 minutes a nice bait ball formed and stayed on it for a long time. I hooked it up to a small 12v bat and since the led draws little juice, it lasts a long time. I also found that it took around 14 ounces to hold it on the bottom. battery like this here
Sorry to be a pest . . . ( not really - LOL ! )

You said "on the bottom" . . . Do you use this just below the surface or are you actually lowering it to the bottom ?

Do you have any pics of your light while it's being used in the water?

Thanks !

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries.
You could let it float or partially submerge with half the weight. The place I am using it has current and I wanted it on the bottom. Here is a pic from early in the year in about 5' of water. https://instagram.com/p/3VHNKVu3Zb/?taken-by=marshall_sebra I have some recent pics too but they are on old phone. For weight adjustment, at the base I secured 2 fish finder swivel clips using a zip tie. This allows me to add or remove weight as I need.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
marstang50;866347Here is a pic from early in the year in about 5' of water.[/QUOTE said:
What is the approximate diameter of the area illuminated in that pic ? There isn't anything to give it any "scale" in the image.

Thanks !

DIY SUBMERSIBLE LIGHT.JPG

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I'm happy to answer any specific questions on how I did it.
Well, "DUDE" ... Apparently not so "happy", are you ???

First of all, I'm old enough to be your father (Your 36 / I'm 54 ) ... So, being called "Dude" is not appreciated.

What SHOULD be "appreciated", in case you didn't notice, was that I was the ONLY person to show interest in your project and ask you about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts