Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving over from N.N. this morning I noticed some bird crashing into the water by the two rock piles on the Norfolk side of the HRBT. Mabe things are starting to happen.

Rick

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I saw\ the same thing a couple of days ago, but I wouldnt bet on feeding striper beneath them.

i saw\

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
well, as Digger mentioned in another post, the water temp at sewells point has been sittin at 42 for a few days. All them little dudes that were bitin at Chicks after the new year in water that is considered too cold didn't stray real far. They just stopped feeding when the water got toooooooo cold. I wouldn't discount it........then again, I live right down the street and it doesn't interest me enough, yet, to go try.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I can catch them down to 38 degrees. I have seen them birds crashing at nite over the last few weeks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
you can catch them or you have been? are you holding out on the rest of us with good info about some evening rocks in near freezing temps. we all wanta catch some fish soon.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
My fishing has been limited over the last month due to Truck work. I did make a couple of short stops on the York and they did play with me a day or two ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sometimes at Lake Anna we'll see diving birds during the winter. Instead of stripers, it usually means a local shad kill with the birds gorging themselves. Not suggesting this is the only explanation, just one possible. One nice thing about the plant's discharge canal, the water is 4 degrees warmer and comes from the lower thermocline which means the warmest in the lake during the winter. Being the only flowing water and warmer temps. we get striper runs up the canal. We've been seeing swirls and bait fish leaving the water lately. Usually at this time of the year it means stripers. In April it will be schooling Lagemouth. Unfornately the ice and snow make braving the riprap too dangerous right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Flyfisher,
What and where on Lake Anna is this "plant" and "canal". Does it have a name or is it a secret spot? If it is a secret that's cool, if not I might like to slip up ther later in the spring. Maybe we could swap trips or something.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
FYI me and Surf-n-Turf went to the HBRT a while back and discover the gate(hole) to the jetties under the bridge was mended.Just thought I'd let yall know.We wound up fishing the rocks on the other side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BigIsland,
North Anna Nuclear Plant sits on the lake. Our discharge canal sees striper/largemouth runs. We used to be able to bring people in to fish but that changed not long ago (imagine that). We have a wonderful recreation island complete with permanent restroom facilities and boat launch ramp. I can now bring in a person to the island if I first get an authorization (you'll need US citizenship). The canal, however is considered a plant structure and has been made off-limits to all but full-time station employees. Interestingly, very few people take advantage because of the steep banks and large rip-rap. I negotiate the rocks even though I'm handicapped (leg carrying a fair amount of metal hardware) and use a fly rod. The average recreational fisherman would rather sit on the sandy beaches of our recreation island and watch a bobber. Now, if you want to consider smallmouth bass on the Rappahannock, I CAN hook you up! :-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts