Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try and come down and give the Ditch a try. I have fished the york river near the coleman bridge many of time but not to sure where the ditch is. We have some directions from P&S, but if anyone is interested in joining us and showing us the area please let me or FL Fisherman know.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
oh yeah going to the ditch. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would be interested in joining, when do u guys plan on fishing it? P.S. (read my previous posts, there are also some directions on one of these pages)

GOOD LUCK AND BOWED UP HEAVERS!! :D

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
yeah maybe we can get a few people together and fish the great "hot ditch"
Do I need to bring a radiation suit with me cdog? ;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hopefully will travel friday night and spend night at Ft Eustis. and spend Sat Fishing. Just need to get our reels back together and fill the spools.

If I'm correct we can use our MD license to fish tribs of bay, so we can fish the York and James and everything between thats tidal.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Undersized pups for th most part. Thats a drive for non keeper fish aint it? BTW thanks for th info on licenses.Now I know I can head up to MD an fish without having ta get a license up there.Don't know about this weekend yet.Will update you if I can. :)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
shoot right now cdog bluegill and brim would satisfy the fishing fever. are you sure there aren't anything bigger in there besides pups. might try liveling in there if you can. is it soft bottom or hard. what about flounder? man i am ready to go. got the shakes. for us it is there or ice fishing up here. mike has all the gear in ny for ice fishing so we are chosing to go to the ditch. would try here but everything is frozen (potomac, patuxent) mike told me they are bringing in the coast guard with the big ice crusher so they can open the potomac to get oil back and forth. have been here 3 years and first time i seen it totally frozen. so to us it is worth it. as long as we catch fish.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Fl I understand,there might be some blues in there although I haven't been lately. Flounder I doubt but ya never can tell. Good luck to yall if I don't hook up with ya.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
appreciate it cdog. hopefully we can meet up if you get a chance. we have a couple of gotchas on hand for those blues. should we be bringing bucktail jigs? we have mainly used bait (dead and live) and gotchas in the past year. we haven't graduated to using jigs yet but looking to further our expertise.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Bucktails,I caught my first pups on a big ol 2oz bucktail with a green curly tail grub trailer. Have had my best luck with th storm minnow colored lures.Also have had good luck using a 3/8oz red jighead with green curly tail.Also ya'll might wanna try th ocean in VB looking for birds.Supposed to warm up although I don't think its gonna warm up that much.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
yeah we read the weather report just a little bit ago and you guys are getting into the mid 50's but best of all no rain! we are gonna be low 50's up here but rainy. how far is the nearest bait shop from there? will have to get some of those bucktails, need em for the narrows up here anyway. fishing the beach was definitely on my agenda while we are there. mike used to be stationed at ft eustis so he knows a lot of the places you guys talk about. thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
If you are coming from 64 onto 17 N. After you pass th Newport News York county line at th next light there is a shopping strip and in there is Bishops Tackle. Good people there.BTW I would try just th jigheads myself,I've had better luck an they are cheaper. ;)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
thanks. by the way talked to mike this a.m and he is thinking about switching the plans a little bit. he was thinking about staying at ft story fri night fishing the beach sat, and on our way back up sun fishing the ditch. you are more than welcome to stay with us since you have a little drive also. he is making the call to see if he can reserve a cottage today. of course all depends if you are allowed to come out this weekend ;)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
there are some legal pups in there, and a few specs I believe too, I havnt seen much flounder action there lately, I would plan on bait fishing if I was you, then if the action gets hot (does on different tides)
switch to small jigs. the bottom is rocky and grassy so I wouldnt recomment using too much weight in general.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
ok gents we are off. wish us well :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts