Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of distances can I try to achieve with this reel? How far can you all throw it? I'm still learning how to cast with a big rod (10 footer, hey it's big to me!!) but I can't cast very far...... maybe I need to find a casting clinic in GA. :D Anyway someone please give me an idea of what you can do with this reel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't have the 9500 but I've got the 7500 on a 12 foot tica. Using a straight overhead off the ground cast I sailed a 5 oz lead 120 yards without trying to kill my rod .I 've only reached 105-110 with my penn 525 mag (just getting started with conventionals and headaches ).The upper spool lip on the 9500 is a little larger but if you fill it up good you should get excellent distance for fishing purposes.

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply!! I have a 10' shakespeare tidewater..... dunno if it's good bad or indifferent, but I liked the price. I was shooting 2 oz lead about 50-75 yards.... I didn't try anything heavier.... I did notice that if I slowed the cast down, I could feel the rod loading and I was getting more distance..... maybe I just need more weight. Anyway thanks loads for the reply!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi "beaup",

If you want real distance, switch to a Daiwa Emblem Reel. To properly benefit from a Daiwa Emblem, you need a longer rod.

If you are truly happy with your present combination, then do not concentrate on distance!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Emblems

Beaup,

Longcaster is very wise. I own 2 Emblems and have found them to be excellent at getting bait and weight out to the far reaches of the surf! Just takes time to get used winding all that line back in!:D

Macman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts