Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm teaching a continuing education class next summer here in asheville, nc on surf fishing (you cannot go a block here without seeing an OBX sticker on someone's honda civic). will be teaching knots-rigs-reel tuning-bait rigging and so forth. will also be trying to improve everyone's distance. i need to hear from fishermen(pardon my political incorrectness) from maine to florida with their ballpark figures out to the second bar in their areas.
thanks guys,
charlie farmer aka big brother

·
Registered
712 Posts
Delaware beaches for the most part are flat but when some structure is up its usually 100 yds to the bar. 'Jersey beaches tend to have a second bar anywhere from 120-200 yds out. I can't say much about MD since i have only fished assateuge a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey, I can vouch for the OBX stickers; it's a constant reminder that I'd rather be fishing.

Big Bro, I might be interested in your course. Are you doing this through AB Tech?

Fred

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
I would guess......

on the beaches of SE NC (you wouldn't know a thing about these beaches... :)) my guess would be 150-300 to the first and 400-500 to the second bar depending on tide and number of beers.

Let me know when finals are and we'll set up a field.... lol

Fred, he is at AB tech.

Tommy

·
Registered
578 Posts
Charlie why the second bar ? I usually fish the slough , inside edge the first bar , top of the first bar and outer edge of bar and the cut . I don't see a lot of second bars where I fish

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good point

conn, i do believe that little bro and blaineo got their collective butts kicked at fort fisher last summer by bro's lady friend, they will claim she was just catching bait, buttttttttt. still need to hear from some north beach and topsail guys.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Charlie,

Yep, I was there, and did get my butt whipped.

Mike who was down with me did OK, Tommy and myself did not have our Cooler Dance going.

For the record, they caught Croaker, Pompano, and Sea Mullet.

My getting to witness "The Croaker Dance" as done by the attractive one present made up for my lack of fishing skill.

Happy New Year to all!

Blaine :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Having fished the south end of Topsail for 10 years, I can honestly say I've never been aware of a second bar. The first can be up to 200 yds but often merges onto the beach, which creates a corner for predators to chase bait fish into and is often very productive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts