Pier and Surf Forum banner

Distance need in TIGHT conditions

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  LarryB 
#1 ·
First off I will say, I am throwing a 12' Daiwa Saltiga Surf with a Shimano Sustain FE 8000 with 15 lb iPP, breakaway cast cannon. The rig I am throwing is a 3 oz torpedo sinker with about 12 inches of 30 leader to a 1/8oz jighead with a small plastic(3 in zoom tiny fluke). I do ok but it seems like som guys can just throw further. Fishing is almost shoulder to shoulder and is a little scary at times. But where I am fishing distance is everything! it determines if you catch fish or not. I was throwing a Daiwa Power surf which I seemed to get more distance but it was just to slow. I am looking for tips for a long cast. I have fished this area for sometime and do well but there are times I just can reach the fish. Not sure what else I can really do but if there is something you guys would know.

#4 ·
It does sound like conditions (shoulder to shoulder) and the rig being used may be the limiting factor.

You don't say whether your fishing from shore, pier, etc.

If it's that crowded serious power casting is out of the question, but it never hurts to work on casting technique. That being said, it's pretty near impossible to diagnose if there are issues in that regard, without either seeing you cast, or at a minimum seeing a video of a cast.

If you can post pics of the rig, we might be able to offer advise on stream-lining the rig also.

#6 ·
You have gotten some great suggestions and one that I'll recommend for tight fishing conditions is the Brighton Cast. It's a simple off the gound cast that can be done in those conditions and you can also get great distances with this cast. I believe that Led has a video of this cast on youtube. Hope that helps.

LarryB

#7 · (Edited)
I guess I forgot to mention we are wading mid thigh to waist deep water. There is no room for anytype of OTC. I am a decent caster it just seems like I am coming just a little short. Story of my life:rolleyes: I also think that when it becomes really crowded my casting seems to get worst. Just nerves I guess but I have seen sinkers go wizzing by peoples heads, rods getting hit and broken on the follow through. It is def. a tough place to fish

#11 ·
For close conditions like that, it sounds like maybe the Hatteras cast would fit well. The rod is extended out behind you and you rock the rig back and forth in line with the rod. Then you snap the rod over your head to cast. The power is only slightly less than an OTG, and the side-to side room necessary is minimal. And since you aren't resting the bait on the ground you can do the Hatteras from the surf.

JMHO

Evan

#14 ·
Justin,

Kingfisherman23 has the right cast for those wading conditions. The Hatteras cast would be the way to go but let me also suggest that you consider using a more aerodynamic sinker. The tournament sinker used at casting tournaments would work well for your setup with a light teaser type lure setup similar to a Carolina Rig.

Although the Hatteras cast works great in crowded conditions it does not take the place of safety as mentioned earlier. If you have a good command of the Hatteras cast and it's over head motion then you should be OK but if not nothing replaces getting out to a field and practicing.

LarryB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.