Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a beach trip with a large group of people for Memorial Day. Can anyone recommend good fishing options. I am generally a pier fisherman, but am not aware of any piers near there. I am guessing that a head boat or possibly a charter boat may be my best bet. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Plenty of fishing opportunities in the Dewey area... There's the very long pier at Cape Henlopen in Lewes (10 minutes north, just past Rehoboth), the Lewes canal, and, going the other way, you have IRI 6 miles south of Dewey and 3Rs just beyond that.

In terms of head boats, several operate out of Lewes and one runs out of IRI.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
You have tons of options. Cape Henlopen is a huge pier. Rugger already told you where it is.
IRI is just south on rt 1 and has great fishing with lures (bucktails) for stripers. Billr taught us the trick last weekend--throw the bucktail way out there and let the current take it.
Also, there is surf fishing right there in dewey beach or over at 3r's.
You can also drive 30 minutes to Ocean City and fish one of the many piers over there. See hot spots links.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very helpful, Rugger, and more fishing opportunities than I expected. (My experience is more on the Bay.) Would anyone offer their recommendations for headboats in the area? I have had both very bad and very good experiences with headboats. So I am leery about trying one without a good recommendation, particularly when I am taking a large group of friends who undoubtedly would blame me if it didn't go well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Haven't done any of the headboats there myself... but then again, I always found the best fishing in Dewey to be at the Starboard or Lighthouse at around 12.30... :cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
rugger , i think they looking for another type of excitment. bb you have picked one of the three busiest days of the year. there are so many cars on the road i sometimes think this part of delmarva is going to sink. if you go into lewes, the headboats are right there at the canal bridge. the crowds are big so get there early. say 6 am. they leave at 7 and return at4.ask which boat goes for which species. at that time there should be blues, trout, flounder,c rock[striper], and sea bass. the pier is at cape henlopen. it's 1750 ft. in length. as i said, be early or you may noy even get in the park. the cost for entry into park is 2.50 for residents, and 5.00 for non res. i hope this helps. me, i usually get the hell out of town that weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts