Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to Destin the week of June 7th. I usually go north for vactions but the wife was getting tired of that. I'm a avid walleye fisherman here in the North, but have no clue about shore fishing the ocean. I have a 8 1/2 foot Eagle Claw casting rod spooled with 30lbs Powerpro. Should I also bring my normal walleye/bass rods? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's a nice pier in Ft. Walton Beach, I think it's 6.50 a day. They've got some pier reports posted on here every so often, there's also a few links on the web so you can see what's biting. The big pole's good for anything heavy you hook into out there, cobia, shark, king mack, etc. Bring a few smaller poles for bait, make sure you get a sabiki rig, there's always spanish sardines around the pier, and then I'd throw that thing right back out there with the bigger pole. There should be a link for the Ft. Walton Beach pier....I would assume there's a number on there, you could call and see whats biting. As far as from the beaches, the only thing I've ever caught were whiting and sail cats, but I'm sure you could hook up with a few spanish macks or some blues. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kings should be running pretty good when you get to Destin. You can fish off the bridge in Destin and there are also several half day and whole day charter (party) boats at the docks that have really reasonable prices if you just want to get out and take in a day of that. Fishing from the jetty you see from the bridge is pretty good too. Just a long walk. If you are up to it you can also go west out of Destin on Hwy 98 to the bridge that runs between Gulf Breeze and Pensacola. When you get across the bridge on the Pensacola side just hang a right and then another right into a little park area that you will see and that will take you right down to the bridge you can fish from. Take you about 30 minutes to get there depending on traffic. I prefer the Pensacola side of the bridge. You just buy your pass at the bait shop and drive right out onto the bridge to the very spot you want to fish at. $2.00 per person and $3.00 per car. Great place to fish. If you want to fish there at night they have a lot of lights under the bridge to attract the fish and that is where you want to fish at night. If you want you can check out their website at www.fishthebridge.com They have a bulletin board there too and you can get all kinds of info off of it. Good luck and have fun. Pier in Fort Walton is so so. Don't have much luck there at night though. Too many cats to put up with. Ladyfish and spanish are starting to get real good too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts