Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to those that haven't seen Demonfish's thread on Sportcast
Demonfish,
Can't seem to get another post on the Sportcast board so I would like to respond to your thread here.
Your idea about the team event in my opinion has a few flaws.
What if under your purposed rules 1,2 or more casters on a team are move up in class during the year? That team is now illegal,Do they now have to go out and find casters that are in these classes and remove club casters from the team ?
Most teams consist of casting club members or teams sponsored by a business. Is it fare to remove a caster from a team because he or she has gotten better?
I know last year my team was guilty of picking up a caster during the worlds because we were short a team member. Maybe all casters not on a team could have there names placed in a hat and when a team is short a caster is drawn from those that want to participate.
I don't think there are any loaded teams in Sportcast. Sure Hatteras Outfitters are good but practice and dedication got them there and think how good it feels when you do beat such a team.
Carolina Longcasters,Capitol Longcasters,N.E Casters ,Potomac Longcasters as well as Hatteras Outfitters all have some of the best casters on their teams. If we could all show up with our best at the same time the results would be some close compitition.
It might be a good idea for you to look into putting a team together and watch it get better and better each year. Lets see if I needed a team I could call hummmm How about Ed Covinton, Bill Smith, Lewis Paul, Charlie Farmer, Tom Ballard , Jim Volk. Jim Johanson. Yourself and there are others. Will they cast on a team? Who knows? Has anyone asked?
Every team in Sportcast has had and stuck with casters that were not very good in the beginning and now after practice and dedication they have helpped make their teams competitive. I know because people like myself and Rob Jenkens weren't very good when we joimed C.L. but Ryan White and Mike Langston put friendship ahead of winning and we always had a great time. We are better caster now and feel like part of a damn good team. I sure hope no one decides to change the rules because casters get better.
Bob S

·
Registered
668 Posts
you know bob that was a very good article you wrote. no seriously. every thing you say makes alot of sense. maybe your right. you guys have been doing this longer then i have. well maybe some of the virginia boys can get a group together. i have not been looking to change things just get more involved. sometimes change is good and sometimes things are better left alone. i can see sportcast doing alot of things right now to make things better and i'm sure they will continue to do so. see ya soon.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,341 Posts
Bob is right about C.L. At the SE regionals in 2002 C.L. needed a new member. I was only casting 550-600 at the time but they asked me to join. To me it was almost an honor to get to cast with these guys. It really did help to motivate me to practice more. We have been nipping at the HO's for years but it makes for great competition and it di feel great to finally squeeze a victory out over those guys in the 125 last Oct.

Tommy

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Demonfish
I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything of that nature. You are absolutely intitled to your opinion and I am glad to see you are willing to let everyone know what it is. My statement was no more important that yours. I just wanted you to know how some of us felt. I want to get together with Rolland and make that casting trip to Hatteras to cast with Ryan and Mike Langston. I'll let you know when. Maybe you and some other can make it down.

Tommy. You know what C.L. is all about. Hope to get some practice with you and Charlie before spring. Charlie P is helpping me a lot during the winter. It sure makes a difference when someone is there that knows what they are doing.
Bob S

·
Registered
668 Posts
hey bob, your opinion is valued and i was serious when i said that your article was very good. we all have opinions and now we have a place to voice them. i think its great. i can get in touch with rolland any day of the week so let us know when your ready for the hateras trip and we'll be there. rollands PC is down right now so he cant see the posts but ill call him and let him know whats going on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. Lets watch the weather forcast. First semi mild Weekend we can head down. I am sure Ed Covinton will come along also.
Bob S

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,341 Posts
Bob,

Let me know when you guys are going to hatteras to cast. I am off most weekends now and would love to take off and join you guys for some lead tossing.

Tommy

·
Registered
668 Posts
talked to rolland this evening and he is ready to go also. i guess all we need right now is some decent weather. i dont know about you fellows up north but to me casting in 2 ft of snow and freezing your whatchamacallets off just isnt my idea of a fun filled casting weekend, imagine picking up your sinker and it sticks to your fingers then you have to explaine to the paramedics that you are just a dedicated longdistance caster. besides how do you cast with 5 layers of cloths on? it wont be long and we will be back in the 50's down here. but when ever your ready lets do it.
hope ryan can find a place other then the cactus patch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm leaving to look at a field in currituck and their airport in about 15 minutes. The cactus patch is not in that great a shape.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tom. We'll post the weekend we get together. Ryan said the cactus patch wasn't too bad. The place you are talking about sure sounds better. Any chance of using that anytime soon?
Bob S

·
Registered
668 Posts
sounds good to me currituck is closer for me anyhow. i would go down there anytime to cast, only an hour drive. sounds like a good southeast gathering place if you can get the use of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts