Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liam and I fished the Herring Point access at Cape Henlopen State Park from the towers all the way to the point..2 skates were all that we caught..we must have stopped at 7 different spots along the beach b/w 9am and 330pm> Used Mullet, cut bait(croaker, sea trout)..Liam gave the lure bag a work out as always..Windcheaters, Tin, Arties, did see bait as well as a few blues go airborne, I guess they weren't interested in the Frozen Mullet..We did focus on the Navy Crossing Jetty for a while but nothing..We did see a few fly fisherman but they were not doing anything as well..the surf was really small 1ft. and the tide was way out when we got there..stopped by the pier on the way home just to check things out..only 3 fisherman on the whole pier and all they had to report were skates..skates and more skates!Liams BPS Bone Dry waders kept him dry all day!:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
don't feel to bad murph. you weren't only ones. IRI we did get some bmall rock, a couple slots. a friend came down fri. he got 3 tog on fri. and skunk sat.& sun. he's on his way there now. he'll fish till dark and come back. if he's in a good mood i'll let him buy dinner.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
What about the blues?

See a lot of posting on some killer blues being taken at AI. Some of them are almost 40" long. :eek: I figured they would be in the DE surf too...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandcrab,
Those SOL guys are AI pros..AI always seems to have produced way better than the DE surf this year! Maybe the fish are leaving the rips and making a bee line for AI!:)

·
Registered
680 Posts
SC. on a few occassions you may get some big blues, but rarely. it all goes back a few years. there was always a big mackeral run every spring close to shore, and the big blues would be right there.then the soviet union had a contract wiyh the netters for macks. after a couple years the macks up close were gone. so to the blues. now they follow the run that's 20-25 miles out. thats the way they go back in the fall.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sandcrab, BillR:
After reading that report it seems quite a few fish were caught at AI this weekend, maybe there will be some action at IRI before the winter weather sets in, I may have time for one more Surf trip..I have off the week of Christmas..if conditions are right I may sneek down one more time or take Liam to the inlet for some Shad fishing. Murph:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts