Pier and Surf Forum banner

Debate

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fishwagon 
G
#1 ·
#2 ·
Pauky,
Saw this last night on the news, been hearing the oceans were on the decline for years. Just started fishing saltwater again, after a 20 year hiatus. And, I gotta say I can really notice the difference.
As long as there are no standards worldwide with inforcement and fines, the rape will continue. It'll be future generations that will made to bare the burden.
It's OK to throw some back, tw

#6 ·
Just this past weekend I was watching some vintage fishing hole shows in black & white and was blownaway at the size of the fish they were catching. Forinctance the average bone fish was over 8#. I dont fish for them but it is sad to see such a decline in numbers and size. I have just in the past 5 yrs praticing catch and releace. Every little bit helps.
Bigblock :eek:

#7 ·
I have a freind who is 68 who grew up on gwinn's island. He says that tarpon used to migrate up to that area when he was a kid.
The stripers used to run all the way up to Lynchburg. The sturgeon were written about as being "so thick you could walk accross their backs at Richmond", when they spawned.
Could you imagine what it used to be like? A 700 pound bluefin tuna, sushi grade, can be bought at a dock, put on a plane to japan, and sold for $30,000! sometimes I really wonder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.