Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am savoring all these poor fish that I am catching and cooking with the exception of Croaker.

Those little suckers have more bones than nearly any other fish I have tried, with the exception of freshwater cats, which I think has the record for bones. :)

Any tricks to de-boning those little Croakers? The taste is fine but wish I could get all the bones out.

Cheers!

Bob

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect that the Croaker I have been choking on are a good bit smaller than ones you would fillet.

Less than a pound, not sure but about the size of my hand. Can catch a lot, but have not caught a big one yet.

Or maybe I just don't have the "technique" down...

Think it's that freshwater fisherman thing still going on!

Bob

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
When you fillet them stop and cut completely around the bones on their belly. This will shorten the fillet up but it is not worth the hassle of picking the bones out for that little bit of extra meat.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I can't believe you guys. Eating a freshly fried fish with the bones still in is the tastiest way to eat um. I say this but I do not include shad in that category. Thats like eating a ball of steel wool

·
Registered
251 Posts
??????????

I can't believe what I'm reading....Me----nothing wrong with a croaker here...No trick is needed only experience or better yet just catch em a little bigger and throw those tinys back...lol

And all the Cats I've caught in Ga only had the middle bone going down the center with all the others attatched.

You musta been catching some new breed of catfish....any other catfish eaters out there help me out...Any bone problems?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: ??????????

1mocast said:
And all the Cats I've caught in Ga only had the middle bone going down the center with all the others attatched.

You musta been catching some new breed of catfish....
These are TEXAS catfish. They carry guns. :D

Big fat yellow head mud cats. Nasty suckers. Eat garbage, beer cans, you name it.

Fillet them, nail them to a hickory plank and smoke em slow. Then peel off the fillet and eat the plank.

Now, those blue channel cats.... hmmm .. I want some!

Got any Channel Cats in VA freshwater?

Bob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh

Never had one of those mean ol' Mud Cats, but like Cdog said I've caught many channel cats in the spring out of the James

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Re:Catfish

HighCap56 said:
Now, those blue channel cats.... hmmm .. I want some!

Got any Channel Cats in VA freshwater?

Bob

If ya really wanna catch some cats (blue and channel), head to Dutch Gap boat landing in Richmond. There is a pier at the end of the trail by the parking lot. It's a pretty fair walk, but a nice place to fish (at least last time I was there). Puts ypu right on a point of the river and a large creek, which is also the hot water discharge from the power plant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts