Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some help here, me and a buddy got this minnow trap for free and have been throwing it out at night its one of those barrel shaped ones with the cones going in. well here is the problem we stick it out at night and when we return in the morning to grab the minnows they are all dead!! its in tidal water and we have made sure its out far enough to stay under during low tide. so what is the problem?? we are using bread balled up for the bait. any help would be great. i am so tired of paying three dollars a dozen!!!!
thanks again

buzz

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
That's a new one on me......

I use those traps all the time, but "never" left one over nite. I'm guessing you're talking mud minnows, some of the others would die due to lack of movement. I use 2 that I put in, and have 10-15 doz in 20 to 30 minutes, which worked out great when launching a boat. Once came back in and put a trap out with about 7 doz in, came back the next day with only a half doz in there. Either they find their way out or maybe an eel???

Only thing I can think of is your bait. I "never" use bread, it swells up in them, they puke it out, make the water nasty, etc. I always use a "stomped crab" in each trap, maybe try that, plus you'll catch more minnows. Once a school finds it, most will go right in the trap. With my method, shallow water(sometimes not even covering the trap, and near grass if there's some around, if not rocks or pillings. But shallow water is the key.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hard to say.

Of the little tid bits of information I picked up while working in the fish room at Animal Jungle, my guess would be that you arent submerging the trap deep enough, if thats even possible. All of your sickly/dieing fish will collect at the surface of the water where the oxygen is more abundant (analogous to gasping) so you should be able to get healthier fish deeper in the water. I would think that the bread would have already expanded by the time they got it however I suppose that some residual preservatives in the bread could have a poisonous reaction. I would also look at the temperature changes, if the water temp has changed drastically over night then you can pretty much guess that these little fish died of temperature shock. Minnows although abundant in this area are not that hardy and a large change in temp over a short period of time usually kills them. Usually a 20 degree drop in temp over night. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
862 Posts
My guess is that the oxygen level in the water is going to low somewhere along the line during the night.

Those fish are pretty tollerant to temperature changes. As a matter of fact one way to store them is to put a layer of wet newspaper over a layer of ice lay the fish on the paper the put another layer of paper on top of that. In theory they will last for days that way.

Tom

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i am definitly going to change the bait. also these are gudgeons and mud minnows. i will start leaving it out for shorter periods of time and see how it works. thanks for the info!!
i will post back how they turn out.

buzz

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The mummichogs definitely do not survive as well
when the temperatures are warmer and water
not circulating.

I agree that you have to put the trap out and
check on it before low tide.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have one of those traps but haven't used it yet. However, I saw a lot of nice minnows chomping on spot bone that I threw out after fileting for bait. I could have scooped them with a net. I will definitely avoid bread. Bread will have excess carbon dioxide and preservatives that will not be good for tiny critters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts