Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the MD/DE board and came accross the post of DC fishing and found this site through some search. Good striper fishing is in the heart of DC. I think in the spring time this water produces monster stripers as they migrate up river to spawn. Well, check out the pictures!!

http://www.fletchersboathouse.com/photos8.htm

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how much anglers are willing to travel for runs of big fish, but no one heads to the upper part of the bay during the spring striper run. It's amazing!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sand Flea

In the spring time, fish are running everywhere. My guess is that we'd be very happy to fish the local water instead of chasing the striper runs. For me, i always follow the stripers.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
But they're the big ones in the upper bay, and they're much denser than anywhere else. For instance, this time of year you can catch reds all over the place, but there are only a few places where you can have a good shot at a big one. Same with stripers in the spring.

I regularly fish from the upper bay to the Outer Banks and can say unequivocally that you might get into a few good ones elsewhere in April, but your chances of catching lots of giants are better from the Susky Flats to the Potomac than anywhere else (and you don't need a boat to do it).

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sand Flea

Where are these exact locations? PM me when is the next time you go. There are 3 stages of fisherman, 1st stage: catch more fish; 2nd stage: catch the biggest fish; 3rd stage: the most challenging fish. what stage are you now? I'm still on the first and working on my second stage. 35lbs striper off of potomac is not big enough for me. I want one in the 50s doesn't matter w/ kind.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Stripers head into the upper bay to spawn every spring. This time of year they're further south. I'll take Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks every fall over anything else. So you'll have to wait until next March/April.

But this spring, I'd suggest Sandy Pt., Matapeake Pier, or anywhere inside the Potomac. Heck, some people catch them in the middle of the hood ;).

As to what stage I'm in, I don't know that I can put myself in any category. Guess it varies from season to season and species to species. I love the challenge of catching spanish mackerel, which are small, but I also love the challenge of catching reds, which are also big. Then again, I enjoy catching lots and lots of spot.

If you're looking for a truly giant striper, then I wouldn't recommend the upper bay spawn. I would recommend the Va. Beach oceanfront in a boat between Thanksgiving and February. Most of the 50-pound+ fish come from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts