Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that everyone is excited now that the horse croakes have begun to blitz the area beaches but unfortunantly I have not been able to get to the salt water yet. I hope to soon. This week I've fished the Potomac in the evenings from 8 to 10:30pm in the DC sector searching for cow rockfish. Nothing doing yet. I did manage to land some really nice catfish in the 15lb range. Even managed to catch a Blue Cat. The herring run is beginning to hit full force for all you herring dippers out there. Yesterday I filled a 5 gallon bucket in less than an hour. Next week I'll hit the beaches for horse croaker. Tight lines.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
hmmm...too bad I don't have some of that herring for my road trip to IRI. What do you catch the herring with?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use a dip net around the Washington Channel seawall. A couple of dips will suffice for your trip. Here a tip. You'll be more productive if you spray paint your net black

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
They catch Herring with a net that looks like an umbrella net but its diameter is bigger and the holes are bigger.I just baught one 2 weeks ago they have them available at Cheverly Sports Fair off of RT 202;its almost right off the Parkway going west.

·
Registered
104 Posts
finn74 -- an ignorant question:

I've had a ball fishing for shad in D.C. (near fletchers) but I've never bottom-fished there.

What type of rig do you use to minimize (relatively speaking) the snag potential, when bottom fishing with herring chunks? What type of weight?

How much weight do you use to hold bottom?

thanks,
Chris

Also, where can one fish at night? Is the area around fletchers open at night?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C.Salp when fishing for monster stripers you can do the following with good results.
Fish the Potomac in the area of the 14th Street bridges south to the point. The bottom there is relatively smooth, no snags. Its about 6 to 10 feet deep depending on the tides. 2 ozs of lead will work fine. You can purchase a fancy bottom fishing rig or just tie your hook to the line. Be sure to use strong saltwater hooks. I've learned this the hard way as several monsters have flat out straightend my hooks as they approached the wall. Use a 2 inch sized chunk of herring or perch for monsters. Smaller pieces near the wall will do for the youngins. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts