823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
virginia beach pier gone. 2 motels on kill devil hills washed away

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nagshead

Topsailbum

Any word on Nagshead or anything between there and Oregon inlet? It sounds like it wasn't as bad as some of these storms have been.

kelsch

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i havent heard anything out of nags head bunch. as far as that goes i havent heard anything out of emergency management for that area either..... if i do i will post. my job gives me the right contacts most times for this type news ... will post all i find out

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
About half of the VA Beach pier is gone and reports are the Harrison and Lynnhaven piers are gone I hate this to my core.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Folks I'm signing off and going to bed I'm tried of the bad news and hearing about places my friends fish being destoryed and being without power. my prayers go out to all.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings David!

That's a damn shame.... I was hoping to fish those piers next Spring (when I'll finally have some leave built up!) I guess the question now is: What piers ARE standing?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Romancoke pier is supposedly gone, driving down to the end of Kent Island to check it out. Stopping by Matapeake to check out that one too.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings David!

The 'tank is the old RT 50 bridge over the river, so its a pretty sound structure. The new bridge was built mostly because the old one (two lanes) couldn't handle the traffic. The old bridge was lower to the water, so there may have been a drawbridge in the center (one of the locals would know.)

Other states have picked up on using remnants of older bridges as fishing piers. There are at least two in southern NJ. Hopefully this will become a trend....

Unfortunately, with beachfront property at a premium, we'll have to wait and see if the old ocean piers are replaced. I understand one of the piers (can't remember which) was state-owned. Might be a good time for folks to start lobbying to get the pier replaced; There will be a lot of federal money flowing into VA and NC over the next few months....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts