Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I'm posting to this forum for suggestions to replace or repair (if possible) a worn pinion gear on a DAM Quick Champion 700B reel. I am asking here because there happens to be a very old thread on this forum from 2010 about schematics for this reel so that association suggests maybe this is the right place to seek current expertise.

My problem with the reel is it skips under load on retrieval. I think the pinion is the key to fixing the problem. The pinion is understandably a scarce part. I have read that these reels have similarities to ABU 5000 reels but I don't know whether that extends to pinion gears. Given the long list of Abu 5000 series schematics, that approach seems like a shot in the dark.

Some additional parts background. The 700B is the high-speed version of the 700 reel and reportedly for that era means the 700B had a 4.7-1 gear ratio. The part number is 145-513, which is not interchangeable with the 145-507 pinion found in the 700 reel. I can find a pinion advertised for the 700B and they turn out to be the 507 pinion. They have different diameters with the 513 being a smaller radius than the 507. I'm finding out the hard way when I do locate a pinion that they are often mislabeled.

In a side-by-side comparison with a 507 pinion I can see that the notch on my 513 pinion is no longer perpendicular. I believe that difference is what leads my pinion to cam out from the spool and subsequently skip while the main gear is cranked. The reel cranks smoothly under light or no load.

I welcome any current tips and suggestions.

Frank

·
Registered
168 Posts
1. Monitor ebay closely.
2. I've read (but never tested) that jewelers can put a band-aid on old irreplaceable pinion gears. These gears fail because the rectangular opening that contacts the spool gets rounded out over time. Since the spool also serves to keep the pinion aligned properly, this failure makes for rough retrieve (more so under load) and eventually damaged teeth. If your teeth are OK, a jeweler can supposedly fill in the rounded-off portion with solder. Not a permanent solution but should get you back on the water for awhile.
I've tried to do this myself with silver-solder and a mini torch. Let the jeweler do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success! Thanks for your suggestions. I did go to a jewelry store. Despite their jeweler having no familiarity with pinions or fishing gear, they were able to add metal to the pinion and rebuild the inside edges. They were able to repair the pinion and recreate a perfect interface with the spool.

I never spoke directly with the jeweler and it took a few iterations to get this right. If anyone else goes this route it makes sense to give your jeweler the interfacing component. In my case for the first iteration the jeweler welded too much material. He would not have known but that interfered with the spool axle. So, rather than risk further guesswork I decided to provide the spool so they could see exactly how the pinion needed to fit. The result was a perfect repair. Now the pinion stays engaged with the spool during retrieval. All is smooth on this reel. Fish beware!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts