Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time fishing this place. Drove 4 hrs on Thurs, 3 Nov, to get there. Mostly sunny, 60s, and breezy (NE wind). Waves were fairly rough. I couldn't cast past the breaking waves, well over a hundred yds out. Used two surf rods with frozen cut-bait and shrimp; baited rigs were in the water around noon. Caught a small puffer. I also threw a variety of lures in the wind/waves; nothing.

As far I could see along the beach, there were no other fisherman. Wind/waves got worst, so I quit after 4 hrs.

Maybe try Chic's Beach, Lynnhaven, or wherever next time. I'm not seeing a lot of surf fishing reports....so, hmmm...maybe it's time to hang it up for the year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Getting really late in the season for Dam Neck - made my last trip there last week was pretty slow with a short flounder a couple of short trout - would not write it off though - much more consistent fishing June through mid October.
Would consider trying one of the piers still open in the area: Buckroe, Oceanview or James River fishing pier.
I've been going out to the Green Mile pier recently - free pier in Newport News - a little bit of a drive from VB - the night trout bite can be good - but the lights have been off the last two nights - not able to fish - don't know what's going on with that - maybe a couple more weeks from the piers depending on weather/water temp

·
Registered
235 Posts
First time fishing this place. Drove 4 hrs on Thurs, 3 Nov, to get there. Mostly sunny, 60s, and breezy (NE wind). Waves were fairly rough. I couldn't cast past the breaking waves, well over a hundred yds out. Used two surf rods with frozen cut-bait and shrimp; baited rigs were in the water around noon. Caught a small puffer. I also threw a variety of lures in the wind/waves; nothing.

As far I could see along the beach, there were no other fisherman. Wind/waves got worst, so I quit after 4 hrs.

Maybe try Chic's Beach, Lynnhaven, or wherever next time. I'm not seeing a lot of surf fishing reports....so, hmmm...maybe it's time to hang it up for the year.
I usually quit fishing Dam Neck the first week of Nov as thats when it pretty much shuts down f/activity. I wouldn't be too concerned to cast over the 100 yd breakers. I've had some of my best success up close in the suds. I usually have one rod way out there but for the vast majority they are spread from real up close (7yds) to about 20-30 yds. I use fish finder rigs on my heavers and pomp rigs w/fresh shrimp/fishbites and/or sandfleas on my 9ft rods when they are around. Hopefully next year will be better for ya. Tight lines!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Went to the Green Mile on Saturday night and it was locked up. Heard they are fixing lights and replacing boards. As of today (Monday) it was still closed. Had a good ribbonfish bite last week…not sure if the cold snap will end it. Rudee Inlet should still have some trout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts