Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished for a couple of hours this morning for two hours just as the tide was starting to go out using cut spot. Managed one 14 inch trout.
Organism Wood Fin Fish Seafood
Water Beach Fluid Sky Fish

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have you ever tried using mono ? You should be fine and may get more bites. I use it on all my bite leaders.

40-50lb for Taylor blues / trout /puppy drum/ whiting etc.

80-100lb if you are targeting bigger fish ..I’ve caught several smaller sharks less than 5ft in same day using 80lb -100lb mono and no break offs.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you ever tried using mono ? You should be fine and may get more bites. I use it on all my bite leaders.

40-50lb for Taylor blues / trout /puppy drum/ whiting etc.

80-100lb if you are targeting bigger fish ..I’ve caught several smaller sharks less than 5ft in same day using 80lb -100lb mono and no break offs.
Never tried mono that heavy but I will give it a try and let you know how it works out. Thanks for the tips 😊 😊 (y)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tie 3 turn uni knots with the heavier mono …I have found Sufix Superior Leader is very easy to work with at the higher pound tests.
Outstanding, I am planning on hitting BBNWR next week as the morning tides are favorable so I will tie of couple this weekend and give them a go. 😊 (y)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good ole trusty mono….depending on what you are targeting, you can go lighter than 80lb…50lb would be fine for alot of species. Puppy Drum etc.

Certainly don’t need 80lb for bottom rigs that are used for catching saltwater pan fish (whiting, Croaker, mullet, pompano, trout, blues etc.) 20lb-30lb for your rig.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good ole trusty mono….depending on what you are targeting, you can go lighter than 80lb…50lb would be fine for alot of species. Puppy Drum etc.

Certainly don’t need 80lb for bottom rigs that are used for catching saltwater pan fish (whiting, Croaker, mullet, pompano, trout, blues etc.) 20lb-30lb for your rig.
I am a close student of the "Old Man and the Sea: and my favorite quote from it is "“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” . Having said that and never knowing what you just might hook into, I will stick with the 80 for now just in case I get lucky 😊

1 - 11 of 11 Posts