Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blessing to have the day off today - so fished a couple of hours around high tide this afternoon. Beautiful weather and clean water started off with a tandem jig rig with the only bite a cut off by a spanish. The spanish were pretty active - jumping in close and farther off the beach. Changed over to a chrome sting silver then a gold one - varied retrieves without any luck for a while - was just about to change back to the first tandem jig rig and beef up the leader then got two of them almost back to back on the gold sting silver. One was out as far as I could cast - pretty good fight to get him in - the other was close to the beach in the first trough. Bait pole with bloodworm fishbite and clambite brought a couple of average sized spot, whiting and a short trout on the bloodworm fishbite.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try pink and white stingsilver or comparable casting jig..i have always had better luck than just traditional silver and gold...hit um pretty good down in Sandbridge a couple weeks back....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fast erratic retrieve seemed to work best - appreciate the tip on the jig color - it's definitely time to branch out beyond gold and silver

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question for everyone - I started out with tying green braid directly to the jig - didn't seem to get bit much - thought they might be seeing the braid or not enough action on the jig? - so changed to a 30lb test fluorocarbon leader about two feet long and attached the jig with a loop knot for more action - seemed to work better.

What do you recommend for leader material-strength-length/knots or other lures to catch spanish from the beach? Greatly appreciate your insight - I am a newbie to spanish fishing

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve had good results with 2-3’ of 20lb fluorocarbon tied to 20-30 lb braid and yes I like a loop knot as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I run a 40lb flouro or mono leader about 18” up feom the jig to my braid...seems to work fairly well...just be prepared to lose some jogs to cut offs when they hit they hit and its not always the bait

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank-you for the help - I'm going to put your advice to use - I like the idea of using an Albright knot; will let me get rid of the barrel swivel/extra hardware - I'm currently using to connect the fluroro leader to braid main line

1 - 10 of 10 Posts