Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I got out there at around 0845 and stayed until 1130. It was a beautiful morning!
Within 5 minutes of having lines in the water my wife caught a small pompano. We each caught a bunch of small black drum, with her even doubling up on one cast. We caught around eighteen between the two of us.
I caught one small whiting that we used as cutbait, but didn't catch anything with it.

The hardest thing was putting up with all the asshat surfers. We got there after most of the other fishermen but before any of the surfers, and we were the last group fishing on the right. The surfers congregated in front of us for some reason. They were getting in the water on our right, surfing across our lines, and getting out to our left between us and the next group fishing. The waters to the right of us all the way down the beach were empty and the waves looked about the same, but several times they surfed through our lines, making us have to recast. I am amazed that none of them cut themselves on my braided line, but I am glad I loosened my drag. I almost hit a kid (probably a young teenager) on one of my casts because I couldn't see him racing behind a wave parallel to the beach. I missed him by about 10 feet or so.

At one point a woman showed up and set up about 20 ft down from us with four kids who she promptly sent out into the water with their boogy boards/small surfboards, so they naturally ran at an angle and got in the water between two of our four lines, and started playing up the beach under the rest of our lines. Thankfully the mom noticed after a couple minutes and got them back in front of her, but they kept "drifting" into our lines.

We still caught a bunch of fish and had a great time, it was just annoying to have to cater to more than a dozen passive aggressive surfers throughout the morning who thought where we had already set up was the best place for them to surf.

Sorry for the long rant. I hope the rest of you have better luck with all the surfers than we did!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I feel for ya! I've had the same issue in the past. It's annoying and just disrespectful. There's miles of ocean and they want to surf right in front of ya. I'm waiting for the day they surf into my lines and get cut and want to complain about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they liked to be watched im convinced, fish backbay you wont have that problem
Thank you, I'll have to check it out!
Where in Back Bay do you recommend? I just looked it up on Google Maps and it looks like a really big area with a lot of wildlife refuge.

·
Registered
558 Posts
One of those surfers out there once told me they go to where the fisherman are because we always pick the best spots. It would seem to me that they would be better served surfing at the other end of the beach down by the Surfrider Club which is specially designed for surfers and families with grills, toilets, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ahh that stinks. Last time I fished there I had the same experience. As a middle age guy who has surfed both coasts for 20+ years i understand surfing and surfing conditions. If conditions are surf-able at a beach/ beach break it is most likely favorable the entire beach mostly due to the direction the swell is hitting and direction the beach is facing and wind n tide too. That being said I'm sure the the people who surfed in mine and your lines could have walked 5 minutes down the beach and had the same conditions all to themselves. I keep telling myself these are just lazy rookies. Now i just try to get far away from the beach access.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you, I'll have to check it out!
Where in Back Bay do you recommend? I just looked it up on Google Maps and it looks like a really big area with a lot of wildlife refuge.
at the parking lot there is a trail to the beach or you can walk down the vehicle access to the beach. About a 1/4 mile down the east dike trail there is another beach access. they put in a new outlook deck on the access trail from east dike trail that has stairs. its doable with a cart, but a pain. getting back up solo straight sucks. i will walk the extra distance on the beach to avoid the stairs when im alone.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
at the parking lot there is a trail to the beach or you can walk down the vehicle access to the beach. About a 1/4 mile down the east dike trail there is another beach access. they put in a new outlook deck on the access trail from east dike trail that has stairs. its doable with a cart, but a pain. getting back up solo straight sucks. i will walk the extra distance on the beach to avoid the stairs when im alone.
Yep....what he said. To add, if you are not solo might be a good idea to drop off the passengers and gear at the vehicle access then park and trek back to your group. It's a bit of a walk to/from that parking lot hauling a bunch of gear. Especially if up there in ages. Save the energy for navigating thru the sand. And hauling gear back off the sand after a long day in the sun and or wind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did that yesterday and I will stick to the vehicle access lot easier on the back and blood pressure lol. Went out around 5pm to 8pm and first thing I notice was the water quality so i knew it wasn't going to be a good day. Not a bite or strike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, thanks everybody! You're all awesome!!!
This weekend we'll either check out Back Bay or NOB. We live a lot closer to NOB than Back Bay, so I'm sure it will depend on how we're feeling when we head out. I just don't want to have to put up with passive aggressive 🤬heads again for a little while.

And Nick M, I hear you, and I could let it go for some of them, but one guy who surfed through my lines twice came up and told me how it's not his fault because he "didn't know my line was so far up current" when he was in between my middle two of four rods. He was in his mid 40s at the very youngest. While he may have been lazy, he was not a rookie by any stretch of the imagination. He was just being a dick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts