Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the XT cast that much better than the 6500SS?
Or is the durability and trouble free 6500SS a better choice with only a few yds less cast capability?
I need something for my 4-8oz rod and also a smaller 1/2-3oz. reel for my lure/spoon rod.
The slammer 360 (vs. 5500SS)seems nice but the capacity is so small unless I go to 20# fireline (14# may tangle too much).
5600L slammer?
First full season on the 3r/IRI surf, Thank You.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Corbina,

I have the penn 6500SS and it is a workhorse. Just received a 5500XT today, so the jury is still out. I'll keep you posted. :p

Macman

·
Registered
232 Posts
Corbina,

Just got back from a couple of hours of fishing with the Daiwa 5500XT. It is a bit larger than my Penn 6500SS. Casting goes to the Daiwa, no contest. I also like the 290 yds of 20lb the Daiwa holds. A good surf reel. On the piers, I still like the Penn, don't have to cast as far and for its size, will pull up a Yugo if mated to an Ugly stick! Hope this helps! Tight lines!

Macman :D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey Macman....see you are a Penn man like myself.Thought about getting the Daiwa 5500 myself as opposed to the Penn6500 which I already have.What rod do you have yours matched up to ?Thought I would try it against a cobia or would it tie up the Pier end too much and pi-- everyone off??.... the R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts