Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a daiwa for my 9' tica. I don't really want an emblem.
Does anyone have any experience with the Laguna, kastor, or the jupiter z?

LA4000 4.9:1 7BB 1RB 14.1 300/10 260/12 210/14 $69.00

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Take a look at the Samuri series.I have the small one on my trout rod,and for less than 40 clams,I am impressed.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey Huskymd.....I was considering adding an Emblem to my Penn arsenal.They come highly touted.Have you had a bad experiance? the R

·
Registered
48 Posts
Husky,
I have been a Daiwa man for 20 plus years and in fact still have some of my original reels. I am now a big fan of Jarvis Walker
reels. I have a 700s, a 600s, and 2 500s so far. The 600s would be match for the 9 footer. Check them out on e-bay. There are some bargains to be had. Also Jamestackle.com carries them and it what I use for a price guide in my bidding.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problems with emblem--I just don't like to be mainstream. Emblem is too popular--seems everybody had one. I'd like a reel that sets me apart. I really like the looks of the laguna.

Hmm...Jarvis Walker would only cost like $30. That is cheap--OBX--should I accept reel advice from a self-professed fool? :D

How long have you had your JW's for? I want something to last a lifetime.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OBXFOOL,
The Jarvis Walker 600 only has one ball bearing. Have you used the gold/black series with 4 bearings?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
HuskyMD,have you considered th BG series? My buddy has a BG60 that he uses for Drumming.He let me use an I caught a 29" drum,nice drag,smooth cast.I'm thinking of getting a 9'Tica for lure an small fish catching.I'm looking hard at th BG.

Th R,I have th 5500XA emblem and am happy with it.I do however wish I had gotten th XT instead as that one is more designed for distance than th XA IMO.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey Husky
I don't see too many bg's out there [black gold]it looks like a nice reel ...the emblem has high line capacity for longer distance that's why I got one ..she's sweet too. :D

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Husky,

"Emblem is too popular--seems everybody had one. I'd like a reel that sets me apart

Sell your car and get a Stella. ;)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
CDOG.....those BG's really are nice and a bargain at those prices.If I hadn't gotten a new Penn 6500ss using my Sports auth. 30dollar coupon I'd be all over the BG60.Using it for drummin;that takes some nad$.Matching it with that tica ,if tica is as good as you say,is a lot of bang for the buck. HuskyMd,et al what would be the ROLLS of the conventional and spinning reel world??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love my Diawa 300S Millionaire. Mounted on my J&B rod it is a Striper and Flounder machine. Smooth cast with great distance using power pro. Next comes my Penn 320LD on a Med Heavy Ugly Stick for heavier bottom action. Do I smell salt water??
:)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Th R I wasn't talking bout putting a BG 60 on a tica.My bud had his on a 10' custom lami an showed me a pic of him with a 50+ pound drum he caught on it. :eek: Me I was thinking a BG20 or 30 fer th Tica 9'.

As far as th Cadilac of th spinners I believe that would be th Van Stall. $400 if I remember right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I pretty much have the same set up as you are looking at. I got an 8'6 tica and a regal x daiwa reel. i can casta like a mile with that thing.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I use a Jupiter. Great reel, very durable. I've caught several big fish with it, including a 43" red and a 38" striper.

On the downside, it's heavy. But it's inexpensive. If you're using it on a bait rod, weight doesn't so much matter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Husky,

Pick the right reel for the species of fish you will be targeting. Line capacity, ball bearings, etc. You will not regret plunking down your dollars after good research. Patience is your friend! or "Go with your feelings, Luke". Either way good luck and tight lines! :D

Macman

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Fishnkid-They got the Regal X for 40.00 clams @ Dicks.If you got that $10.00 off coupon that would make it 30 clams.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts