Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I want to say that I have enjoyed soaking up the vast amounts of information on this web site.

I am moving to Va Beach in December and I am interested in buying some new gear strictly for surf, pier and jetty fishing with lures. The reel I am interested in is the Daiwa Millionaire CVZ Series Reel. The specific model in that class I am looking at is the Z253A. I have not seen to many reports on how they perform. Any advice would be helpful. Also any rod suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Figured the responses would be low to none on this one SC_F. A while back I was in the market for same reel, did an internet search, and found very few critiques. Can say this about the one we got, we don't like the disengaging level wind, because it needs to be centered before each cast for optimum performance. Ours mostly only gets used while bottom fishing from a boat, so I'm unable to give a personal report on it's casting ability. The few reports from those who own that reel swear by it's casting performance. Perhaps I'm not being fair when I say I believe those few reports may have been based on owner loyalty, especially after paying the price to own one. It is a smooth reel, and feels darned good in one's hands, though for my money, a level wind Abu5500 or 6500 gets the job done for a lot less cash. Hey, and you never know, maybe my response will get some other owners of this reel to give up their reports!! Much luck with your choices, and much success with your fishing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big W,

Thanks for your reply. I am sure there are more people around that has used the reel. I have never owned a ABU, but will consider looking into them also. I really wished Mitchell made a saltwater version of their spiderwire series reels. I have two of them for freshwater and I can say that I have enjoyed those reels. They have stood up to a lot of punishment from stripers and hybrids and large mouths. I like the Shimano's but I just do not trust them because the one I had broke on me, which was a long time ago. Then I had a friend get spooled by a striper because the gears were plastic and it was just plain huge. Lake Hartwell has some giant stripers waiting to be caught if someone can catch them. Once again thanks for your reply.

May the tight line force be with you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts