Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in finding some good places to fish from the surf on Dauphin Island, AL if there are any. Any information pertaing to places on Dauphin Island to fish from the surf (I don't care much for pier fishing) and the types of fish caught would be very helpful. I have had very good luck this summer at Fort Morgan, AL from the surf. I have caught sharks, bluefish, flounder, spanish mackeral, king mackeral, red drum, lady fish and a variety of baitfish. I live in Mobile and Dauphin Island would be much more convenient; it is about half the driving distance. I am thinking that the fishing may not be as good as Fort Morgan.

In addition I have an 11' Daiwa Eliminator surf rod for casting reels coming via UPS to be matched with my Penn Squidder 146 with magnetic modification. I can cast further with my Squidder and 8' Penn rod than my friends 10' Ugly Stick with Daiwa BG spinning reel. I ordered the $44 Daiwa rod before I found the surf fishing message boards. For inexpensive rods I see that most people on this board prefer the Tica rods. Did I make a mistake matching my Squidder to the Daiwa 11' Eliminator. With proper techniqe should I be able to cast with this setup 300' or more.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes, with proper technique you can get over 300 feet from that rod. In fact, in the right hands in will cast over 600 feet with a 4oz or 5oz lead. The 12' tica rods tend to be too stiff for most people to cast properly. However, it is a good choice if you like a heaver. Start the cast slow to allow the rod to store energy before you release the sinker. The eliminator like a 4oz sinker better than a 5oz sinker.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Many times the 4oz won't hold bottom. I've found that you can really cast the eliminator w/ a 3oz. They 4 would be better with broomstick rigs though. 3oz works very well with short mono rigs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts