Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1502 lami last week. Was intending to build a full length,although I read where most have 3" cut from tip. My question, is there any advantage gained by cutting or not? I have cut tips before, but was wondering about this one.
Thanks,
redhorse9902

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
What are you wanting to throw with it? What purpose did you have in mind when you bought the blank. 3" will drastically change the action on most rods.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you want primarily a good 6nbait rod dont cut.
If you want primarily a good 8nbait rod cut 3 inches.
If you want primarily a good 7nbait rod cut 2 inches.

I cut 2 inches and 7 is the sweet rod. 8 and a big sea mullet head is a lot but I dont think it will break.

If you dont cut the rod will still throw 8nbait but just not as far.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
disadvantage= blow warranty.

sell the blank and get the right blank you intend to use with the lure/weight rating.
It is my understanding that Lami will honor the warrenty still. As long as a break is not directly a result of the cut. I would contact Lami and get a written answer and reason why not if that is the way they go.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If that is the case how does RDT get away with replacing them. I only know of one person who got an RDT 1502 uncut. I'd sure as heck bring that up if i needed to return the blank. I was told my manufacturers warrenty was still good and Lami was the one company who did approve cutting of SOME of their blanks. I remember spacifically the conversation I had because Arra's were not covered if modified. Hey I could have been sold a line of BS but that was why I said to call and check for yourself not take someones word for it.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Gilly I remember reading somewhere on RDT many moons ago that that was one of the reasons they used Lami blanks....still had the warrenty when cut.....but Ive also read a lot of other questionable things on there as well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
RDT may have permission from Lami to cut them, not sure. What I am sure of is that I called and spoke to a couple of folks at Lami about cutting them and they told me it would most certainly void the warranty.

Some of you guys seem to have forgotten that I've been at this game for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Thanks, fellows. I beleive I'll cut the 3" off it.
redhorse9902
If you do it properly, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Most companies won't have an issue with you cutting on the butt to shorten a rod up, the tip is another matter.

Tape the section where you plan to cut to help avoid splintering, and use a proper cutoff wheel with a dremel. Light clamping near the tip will hold it steady for the cut.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
If you do it properly, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Most companies won't have an issue with you cutting on the butt to shorten a rod up, the tip is another matter.

Tape the section where you plan to cut to help avoid splintering, and use a proper cutoff wheel with a dremel. Light clamping near the tip will hold it steady for the cut.
And don't breathe in the dust. Wear a mask or do it in a ventilated area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.