Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to get custom rods and what is the average price for them? I appreciate any info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Best to shop around. The one place one person considers the best may not be YOUR best. Price, quality, warranty, turn-around time - they are all a factor.

There are some rod builders that are building rods that do not even fish! On what do they base their rod-building design on?

Things to ponder - is a rod sitting in a store's rod rack ready for sale, advertised as a custom rod, really a custom rod made to your specs? True customs are not prebuilt.

Lou

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
And I hear Heaver(Lou) builds a pretty fair rod!! the R

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I think Heaver gave the best advise.
There alot of shops that will build them for you or have "custom rods" for sale. But you want one they way you want it "And to Fit You Properly".
My last custom I purchased was from Hatteras Jacks and I'm very happy with it. Bill and Mike White passed last year but Ryan White is running things there. There are no custom rods on his site you must contact the shop to have one made. I'm sure the quality is there. But I believe you need to be comfortable with the Builder and to understand the process. So you do need to contact the shops or the builder and figure out what you need or want. Wayne Fowlkes builds a great rod as Does HatterasJacks and a dozen other places. Take the time to figure out what you need, that is the most important part of the purchase. Look at turnaround time(a great builder probably has a backlog) weigh and balance it. Heaver is right on the money.
Now for prices go to www.hatterasoutfitters.com you will see a great list of custom rods to help determine what you want and "their price". Now this is the tricky part. You have to figure out what fits your application(I have been assuming surf rod) and fits all of the criteria that Heaver laided out.
Now it you are really energetic you could build your own rod(I have done a couple many years ago). The mechanics of the process are do able.
Now My big thing when it comes to a custom surf rod is get one that fits properly. Now your casting style may factor into that.
I hope this helps.
I hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts