Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to convert a bass baitcasting rod to split grips to reduce some of the weight. Currently, the rod (St Croix SCV, 7', 12-25 lb, 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz) has a 12" cork handle, Fuji palm support casting reel seat (PSSLD - Size 20) and a 4" foregrip. It is very comfortable to use but quite heavy when compared to other baitcasting rods I currently use.

I'd like to convert to either:
- Fuji SK2 casting - size 17 or
- Fuji PTS low profile casting seat (requires carbon fiber insert)

I have never built a rod with split grips and have questions. How do you actually balance the rod before you start building? I was planning on removing all the guides and taping the new parts (foregrip - if used, reel seat, rear grip, butt grip, butt cap - along with the old guides) to the rod (along with the Shimano Chronarch 200E7 reel that I will be using) to find the balance point. I need to make sure the rod is perfectly balanced when it is finished.

Is this how a split grip rod would be built?

Thanks

Sandcrab

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you are removing weight only from the rear of the rod you will change the balance which could make the perceived weight actually go up. So first you may need to look at how you will be fishing the rod. I know a lot of bass guys that fish from boats like to fish in a tip down presentation for good line control so a tip heavy rod with split grips will be fine. But say you are casting in the surf and fish tip up to keep out of the waves then a tip heavy rod will were on you. For me when I have wanted to cut weight on a rod the first thing I do is lose as much guide weight as possible. Go micros or titanium or whatever it takes to lose the weight out towards the tip of the rod, long rods will benefit from this the most. Once I have the guides chosen I make the grip as comfortable as possible whether split or full grip. I never do a fore grip cause I fight from the reel seat anyway no need to choke up on the blank plus you can touch the blank for added sensitivity. Assemble the grip but don't put on a butt cap yet wrap on guides and check balance with the reel you will be using. Add weight to the butt to achieve the balance that you want for your fishing style. I know it seems counter intuitive but adding weight to get the proper balance can reduce fatigue and make casting easier as well. With micro guides, a split grip, and the weight concentrated at the back of the rod it will take less weight to get the desired balance.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have never built a split grip so this is all new to me and you give me a lot to consider... Rod will most likely be tip up to fish texas-style plastics on the bottom - will double as a "light" flipping stick as well...

Sandcrab

1 - 3 of 3 Posts