Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could pick your own custom lure what would it look like and what colors would it be? Which fish would you expect to catch with it?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Old wooden,diving lure.Like the ones in Nantucket.Something about a good wooden plug.
Old,faded,chewed up.I like old, lures.
There is a lot of history in seeing an old chewed up wooden plug.We can only imagine how stripers,choppers,or large fish that has been fooled by taken an old Wooden Plug.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It would look like a cross between a Mirro-lure and a Yozuri Crystal Minnow. It would have the shape of the Mirro-lure and the colors of the Crystal Minnow. I would think this would be a killer Speck bait.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The cork or the hook? ;)

On the cork I caught a real fine 109 lb ball of fire, on the hook.......untried yet, but they are fun to make! :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
SurfnTurf,
What are the specs on that fine looking piece of craftsmanship? Leader material, hook model, etc? Be interesting to know. Wonder if you might be able to make up a couple of those for me :D I'd love to carry one rigged on my rod just for the laughs I'd get. PM me if ya might be interested
Tight lines and popped riggers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wilber, I'll have to check out the shape of a Mirrolure next time I'm in the lure section. I've actually started making my own lures and I was curious as to the ideas of others as to what would work.

Surf and Turf, that is some funny stuff there.

Actually, I've been working on some diving lures the shape of Alewife Herring. It might be some time before I can come up with a verdict on whether I can catch fish on them.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Now I have seen it all!!! :p :p :p :p Man,I can imagine you staying up all nite trying to finish off a case of cheap wine just to make one of them lures.

I bet you a case of Bud Lites I could catch a fish with one of those! :D :D :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok, ok! You guys twisted my arm. I'll tell you the secret of making the "Surf & Turf Corker."

Pick up a couple bottles of a good brand champagne. One with a real cork, not the twist off brand. Take this home and prepare a real nice dinner for your sweetie. Put on some romantic music and pop the cork being careful not to destroy anything in the process and let the bubbles flow. Be sure to put the cork and the guard in a safe place. Make sure she has several glasses before dinner. Fill her glass more often.

Now serve that big dinner of baked trout or stuffed flounder, baked potatoe, Italian bread and tossed salad. Serve her several more glasses of that bubbly. (Remember we need at least two corks. One for backup.)

When you have finished eating, pour her another glass and take the dishes to the kitchen and clean up the mess. Make sure that both bottles are empty before you start to clean up.

Now take your time all the while singing some Italian tunes and keeping busy. By the time you have finished cleaning up, she should have passed out or fallen asleep on the couch. Your wide awake because you have been busy cleaning up.

Pick up your guards and corks and head for the garage. You need to drill or poke a 1/16 inch hole through the center of the cork and guard (guard is optional). Use at least 60 lb line (wire is optional), cut to about 12" and feed this thru the hole. At the flat end of the cork tie a loop in the line and place a split ring and 4/0 hook on the end. At the round end tie a 60 lb swivel or a loop whichever you prefer. Now if you use the guard you can place a trailer hook or dangle some stuff off the back. Some surgical tubing will also work. Add some pork rhine or fishbite and your in business.

Now sneak back inside, set the alarm for 4 AM, hit the rack and get up the next morning and try out that new "special" lure. She'll never miss you! :D

Good luck and be sure to put that ice bag and aspirin beside her before you leave! ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
What if the hottie goes for my cork before I have a chance, can I just do it in the morning? What if I pass out first? Does that mean she does the dishes, makes the lures, and I do her in the morning? :D

R

·
0 Posts
fishwagon thaaaats... riiight... the wine the dine the first thing pops up then th cork & for th asprin better make that tylnol .. ;) ;) RC

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hey Flea, I think we may need to start a "BS" board kinda like the "other" site. Don't you guys ever fish??!!

W

·
0 Posts
Ha !I Like this post guys. Some of the other sites have gotten like "Dear Abbey" or something.
But this one raised a memory of the past; In '67 when the big blues showed in high numbers, we were catchin' em' by the boat load out at the V-buoy on a friends boat. So help me, I saw one once, "hit and eat a seagull" which unfortunately touched down in the water for an extra second in this particular blitz...You know how they can get..
Anyway, noticing that they appeared to "hit anything", we hammered out some beverage cans once back at home, to try an idea.
Nothing fancy now, just an entire beer can, flat as a pancake, and added a treble hook with a large split ring. Well, out of the choices here (and this REALLY DATES IT),
there was schlitz, falstaff(cuz it was cheap)
and pabst blue ribbon. The winner ?
Apparently they liked the blue on the
"Pabsty Cola" can, because we nailed em'...
with all of the cans actually. Sure was funny. And we got in a hurry too - trying to empty enough cans to keep up with the lure requirements.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts