Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing has started with a bang in Brunswick County this spring. Although the pier and surf still have water temps holding around the upper 40s and little activity, there is a lot going on inside and outside when the weather allows.

The red drum have never stopped biting, and those who chase them caught them up throughout the winter. The guides did very well (I didn't do too bad myself). It is almost all catch and release for us with the the winter reds. The schools are breaking up a little now, but folks are still finding them everyday.

The trout fishing has really picked up in the last few weeks. Right now the action is mostly on the "spike" specks in the 12 to 14 inch range. Reports are already coming in from mid-SC, however, about the big female fish being hauled in. It won't be long until that bite starts here, and it will go until mid-June. Once the larger trout are in the anglers will move from the creeks up to the jetties, and the piers and surf casters will start to get some fish.

Offshore I understand the king action is good for this time of the year, and I got in a pic of a nice wahoo last week. You can follow the SE action daily on my blog, as well as through my print reports. As always, email me for details if you are going somewhere specific in Brunswick.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Good report. Thanks

·
3,775 Posts
I got out on the North end of CB today. Just little four inch sea mullets on shirmp, but I went to take the dogs, so fishing helped too.

An osprey stalked a good size speck in the surf right near me, then swooped down and got him....for mere seconds. He dropped the speck. I think it was to big for him. He went back and got it a second time but couldnt fly with him.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Fishing has started with a bang in Brunswick County this spring. Although the pier and surf still have water temps holding around the upper 40s and little activity, there is a lot going on inside and outside when the weather allows.

The red drum have never stopped biting, and those who chase them caught them up throughout the winter. The guides did very well (I didn't do too bad myself). It is almost all catch and release for us with the the winter reds. The schools are breaking up a little now, but folks are still finding them everyday.

The trout fishing has really picked up in the last few weeks. Right now the action is mostly on the "spike" specks in the 12 to 14 inch range. Reports are already coming in from mid-SC, however, about the big female fish being hauled in. It won't be long until that bite starts here, and it will go until mid-June. Once the larger trout are in the anglers will move from the creeks up to the jetties, and the piers and surf casters will start to get some fish.

Offshore I understand the king action is good for this time of the year, and I got in a pic of a nice wahoo last week. You can follow the SE action daily on my blog, as well as through my print reports. As always, email me for details if you are going somewhere specific in Brunswick.

Jeffrey
Are these reds from the surf, off shore or back in the creeks of Cape Fear? Same question on the trout.

I am coming up next Tues/Wed for the week and bringing my Yak and my surf gear. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks for the report

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I got out on the North end of CB today. Just little four inch sea mullets on shirmp, but I went to take the dogs, so fishing helped too.

An osprey stalked a good size speck in the surf right near me, then swooped down and got him....for mere seconds. He dropped the speck. I think it was to big for him. He went back and got it a second time but couldnt fly with him.
What is the water temps down there. I will be coming down Friday, gonna fish teh North end and Ft Fisher.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reds are all from the creeks right now. as Ryan said, temps edging into the mid-50s. nothing on the ocean-side but little whiting and black drum. better in the creeks.

one trick is to use the Billy Bay Halo or Gulp Shrimp at the creeks on the outgoing tide. cast it out, let it sit, then "pop" it good. let it sit for another 20 seconds before you "pop" it again. the specks will hit as the lure falls back. the Halo shrimp in particular really shimmy in the water with the foil that comes on them.

getting more reports of the same late today-- reds and trout in the backwaters. they're the only thing really going right now.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
reds are all from the creeks right now. as Ryan said, temps edging into the mid-50s. nothing on the ocean-side but little whiting and black drum. better in the creeks.

one trick is to use the Billy Bay Halo or Gulp Shrimp at the creeks on the outgoing tide. cast it out, let it sit, then "pop" it good. let it sit for another 20 seconds before you "pop" it again. the specks will hit as the lure falls back. the Halo shrimp in particular really shimmy in the water with the foil that comes on them.

getting more reports of the same late today-- reds and trout in the backwaters. they're the only thing really going right now.
Sounds good.

What do you think about some double buck tail jigs with one bopping the bottom and the upper one rigged with a piece of triangle squid.

Was gonna try that and drift with the tide in the creeks from my Yak and cast some Mirror Lures and Red Fish Majicks against the grass.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have always had better luck with the double rigs either on gray trout jigging or from the piers for specks. on the pier i'll use a bigger jig followed by a little crappie jig, this works on specs and also if you ever get into any shad. inside (if i'm not using live bait) i really like the shrimp-imitators, or the old fashioned grubs and troutkillers.

the MirrOlures really shine once the bigger trout get here around mid-April through June

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.