Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum; so greetings all. My fishing buddy(my boss - makes it easier to get time off) and I are planning a trip to the VaBeach area. We are unfamiliar with surf, pier and deepwater conditions there. We primarily fly fish but have been known to pull in a few cobia here and there. What advice is there for current fishing conditions? Many thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't discount fly fishing in the salt. I started last year after years of trout and smallies. Lynnhaven Inlet was a grand introduction to flounder on the fly, as well as puppy drum and speckled trout. Capt, Larry Ritter runs a boat out of the Inlet that specializes in striper trips with a fly rod. Besides, Jodie at the Duck-In has been known to have a dish of hot hush puppies and a Duck-Tail Ale on a table for me when I pulled off my waders. ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you are heading down soon, I would try wading at Chick's if you want to flyfish for stripers. The action as been hot there for the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK... now you all have done it. The boss and I have told the wives to make other plans this weekend. Granted the houses may be sold by the time we get back. What patterns should we be throwing out for these cold weather stripers/rockies. Will they hit close in or do we have to arrange a boat? Thanks for y'alls quick response.
[email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're tying your own, make up some 2/0 HalfnHalf chartruese over white with some peacock herl on top. Make your flys big, 6 inches or better. Hope you plan on tossing 8 wts. or better. Smaller flys might work if that's all you have but the larger flys are more productive. Deceivers and big Clousers will work also. Mainly in the same color combination and be sure to tie in a couple of strips of holographic tinsel. You will need a sinking line or running line and sinking head. A sink tip may work if it is very fast and the birds are working. One of the charter captains will take you out and probably down the coast to NC where they are slaying the 20 - 50 lb. stripers. That will probably be trolling though. Lean on Capt. Ritter or one of the other charters to stay close by and look for the birds or let you jig flys if you want to stay with the long rod. The more dedicated regulars here have been finding them close enough to cast to at Chick's Beach under the CBBT. Let them give you details on tides, where the bars (sand type) are and where in relation to the bridge.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Fly Flinger I would watch this weather that is blowing in as it probably will send the fish down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the wealth of information all of you have been sending. One more thing before we get in the van and hit the road. I have been on the VDGIF site and it appears that Rockfish/stripers are out of season at Chicks Beach. Can they still be fished there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts