Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody thrown the CTS Surf 8-12 oz rod? How does it compare to a Fusion Mag weight wise? Also is it easier or harder to load than a Fusion Mag?

·
Registered
94 Posts
what are u throwin now???? Iv thrown the CTS and didnt really like it!! But iv been throwin wheels reels blanks for so long now thats all i want!!!! i know different strokes for differnet folks!! but those rods are just amazing!!!

·
Banned
2,808 Posts
cts

I have both . I know the C.T.S. Makoi will outcast the Fusion . There are some low end C.T.S. blanks around but the Makoi are the real deal. The 6 to 8 oz Makoi will outcast anything I have ever seen with 6 and bait.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Looking to get something different...
I own both and like both. The CTS is lighter and has the advantage of being 2 equal pieces. I haven't cast them side by side but both will handle 8 & bait no problem. THe CTS has a bit more sensitive tip.

I would probably give a slight nod to the fusion magnum in ruggedness/durability- not that I have had any issues with the CTS blanks- so far they have proven the ability to hang in there, but they haven't been in use for long- so time will tell.

I assume you are talking about the CTS line that fishsticks introduced lately and not the makoi series rat is referring to. These rods, while being less expensive than the makoi series are far from "low-end" or budget blanks. I believe the 8-12 oz retails at $350 for the blank.

Sending pm.

·
Banned
2,808 Posts
low end

I did not mean they are cheap blanks. The Makoi are on the level of Zziplex. The low end C.T.S. are better quality than most anything else. The Makoi like most Zziplex blanks is a carbon blank with a blended tip.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I did not mean they are cheap blanks. The Makoi are on the level of Zziplex. The low end C.T.S. are better quality than most anything else. The Makoi like most Zziplex blanks is a carbon blank with a blended tip.
The makoi series are really nice. I got to meet Don at a casting tourny and he had one of the original makoi series with him. Your right those are more of a Zziplex style blank. The newer line was developed to be more user friendly, much lighter and easier to load- with a thin sensitive tip.

One of the most impressive things I have noticed about the CTS is how truely straight the blanks have been- without a detectable spine- the workmanship on the blanks is noticeably superior to a lot of blanks on the market.

The tips are noticably thinner than most heavers, taking a size 8 tip top.

This makes for fantastic sensitivity and easy loading during casting, but brings up a question of how well they stand up over time. THey will play a fish nicely. but I would suggest one needs to be careful in trying to horse a big fish - and high sticking with them would certainly be a no-no. For anyone that loves to put a good ol "yahoo" hook set into a fish, look elsewhere- but for use with circle hooks and a light blank that can be held for extended periods- it is the cat's meow. :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have owned the Makoi and the 5-8oz "cheaper" cts

Looks like to me that CTS took Don's design and created the same blank minus the carbon weaved butt. I actually had a Makoi break. CTS replaced it with the new "cheaper" version. I love the new 5-8 oz version. I currently have a fusion and 2 fusion mags. All my surf stuff for the most part is WRI products. I am looking to diversify my portfolio a little....

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I own the CTS 5-8 rod, and if the heavier version is anything like that I would give it 2 thumbs up. What's not being mentioned is casting styles, and how they have more to do with a certain rod performance then anything esle. I have more of a slow motion, and find the Euro style rods (CTS, AFAW, some Zippies) fit me best. the first time I casted a WRI it took off faaar Left.. LOL So what's im trying to say is after you get bast the Warranty, Reputation, and Price it all boils down to which one fits your style..

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you want "something different" check out mudhole.. go to lamiglas blanks..surf..gsb 156 woven this is the lami blank rdt is selling with a carbon butt section vs texalium butt section. very light, more stones than the 1502, will take a 22 reel seat ( despite what they say), loads easily, pricey .. but it's lami.. and a very interesting rod.
Wes

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I too have the CTS 5-8oz and am pleasantly surprised by it's performance... had it to the point 2 weeks ago and it threw 6 and a large mullet noggin with ease... have no doubt it'll throw 8Nbait with ease... will probably add it's big brother to the arsenal next year also... just for those heavy days... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts