Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, the water temps warm up, and the fish come in. First on the coast and then up the bay. I caught a few croaker at Langley AFB on Saturday, so is this a good sign that they are moving up the Bay?
And when could we expect to see some other types besides croakers?

·
Registered
104 Posts
What pier were you fishing on at the base? I've had luck at the King St pier, and at the end of the runway, where the mile long building used to stand. That spot is good because you get a good current flow. I've caught some nice gray trout out there from mid May to early June. Since you obviously have base access, you can get on at Ft. Monroe also. The first pier past the Chamberlain hotel is a good spot for horse croakers, trout, and flounder.

·
Registered
862 Posts
How deep was the water where you caught them. This is the time of year when the move into the flats at high tide. I may try drowning some chunks of squid this weekend at the end of the street (Poquoson River) this weekend.

Tom

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey Tom....are you going down towards Owens?? the R

·
Registered
862 Posts
Rondel,

I live a few doors down from the public landing at the end of Hunts Neck Rd. Often times I will amble down the block with rod and bait in hand just to catch a sunset and a maybe a few fish for dinner.

Drum, Yes that was me. Bob Allen took the pic on a day when he was kind enough to take my sons and I out for a day of striper fishing.

Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was at the end of the runway, the paved corner. I caught croaker on King Street when I visited last spring, mid-apr. A guess here, I'd say about 8-10 ft deep and was fishing the incoming tide. Using mussels I picked up on the beach for bait....spur of the moment, that's why I don't leave home without the gear.
I'll give the Ft Monroe dock a shot tomorrow and see what shakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts