Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from CBBT (aka. Seagull pier.) 50 plus croakers were caught! I kept 7 horse croakers and released all shorties. Squid and shrimp was used and bite was constant through out the day and night. On my way back, I stopped by local tackleshop near Newport News and it was confirm that Croakers are making run to northern bay..
In a few week , Point lookout and Mid Bay should be able to taste those horses.
:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Whee! I can't wait till those hardheads come to our way. Nice to hear that you had a blast Bluefish. BTW, anyone know how far into the bay they come? Will I be able to catch them from Metapeak and Sandy Point? Or am I better off going to Point lookout?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
HOORAY
MAN I can't wait my 11' is lock cock and ready to fire. They should be down plps by next weekend for sure
Has anybody ever caught a croaker on a lure ?I figure like this red drum looks and feed like croakers on the bottom and reds are caught all the time on lures. So i'm going to try this run off the "peake" this year.
just food for thought
later Dre'

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I think they might even be here by next week DNR says that water temps are in the 50's
Chesepeake Bay/Maryland Fishing ReportCould the water really be that warm :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'd try Point Lookout first before I would Metapeake or Sandy Point.Andre- you don't need a 11'for crocker a 9' will do ya.I've always used cut squid on a high/low rig and as I say from time after time the best time is from 8pm- to when ever you want to leave with your limit that's if you can!
:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
MD water temps in the bay are in the mid to upper 40's now. 50 degree water sounds about right for shallow water areas like the flats.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just to name a few

Gloucester Point, VA 51 °F

Kiptopeke, VA 48 °F

Windmill Point, VA 42 °F

Wachapreague, VA 55 °F

Lewisetta, VA 50 °F

Solomons Island, MD 46 °F

Kiptopeke, VA 48 °F

Colonial Beach, VA 51 °F

Cambridge, MD 50 °F

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, VA 51 °F

Washington, DC 55 °F

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, Bluefish where is CBBT located. I was going to head down the Tidewater area this weekend and may try to get some salty fish'n in while I'm there.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've caught croakers on a light jighead/ curly tail grub combo, small spoons and Clouser Minnows. I've heard of them being taken on Bass Assassins too. It's rumored that the croaker bite on lures shuts down on the bay at night.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks Fluke and Joey
I kinda figured they should hit lures they are just a smaller version of a red. I had caught croakers on bull minnows before.I'm going to throw some 1/2 oz grubs if the tide is pulling hard i'll step it up with 1oz grub. Trigger I don't think 2 feet would make to much of a different besides my lil rod is a 7 footer med hevy bass rod.
Has anyone else seen spanish macks off the "peake" besides me. I been chasing spanish macks off the pier for 2 years now I think this my year .I caught spanish off the "pl pier" in the past in the right corner on a outgoing tide in mid july an hour or two before dark on got-chases
just food for thought again
later Dre' :D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Croaker will attack lots of different lures under the right circumstances, but the weirdest thing I ever saw was on the Lynnhaven Pier last summer when Salty caught a croaker on a Hopkins spoon.

Then again it was a weird day in general. We were using the croaker as live baits for cobia and the rays kept eating our croaker and dragging us down the rails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts