Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two croaker caught a t Lesner Bridge. 4lb 4 oz. and 3 lb 8oz.

Rock reply to this thread

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Them be some nice Croaker....

Need to pull out my old log books, seems like we may be coming up on that 7 year cycle. Next year could be awesome :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I agree with you wizarddude. I think with the water levels returning to normal next year that it will be a banner year for fishing, even without that seven year cycle thing.
-Anthony

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I was pulling in beasts there the other night. One was the biggest croaker I've ever seen. There must have been at least two or three citations in my cooler. Funny thing was, they were right at the shore, not more than 10 or 15 feet out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just subscribed to this web site and live out in Caroline County, planning a trip to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel pier, and was wondering how the fishing is doing. Also I was wondering about the other piers, are they open? are they still there?

Are any sharks or cobia still in the neighborhood?:)

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
sand flea said:
1mocast, I was using peelers and bloodworms.

Be willing to bet, peelers snagged the nicer fish. Have always found them to be the "prime" bait for big Croakers.

By the way, are you guys finding peeler now on a consistant basis?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cocoyam sorry but the cobes are gone were not gonna see anymore till next year if you have a boat you might be able to find some maybee but thats a big maybe. just enjoy striper season while its still here! :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I hooked 1 off of WHARES WARF on a nightcrawler had ta go 4 lbs easy :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
cocoyam

aint but a couple a piers left , since the storm came through , Lynnhaven , Virginia Beach , Wilouhbys Spit , just to name a few thats left , someone else might know of another 1 or 2 . Howz about the James River Bridge pier is this one still open ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The fellow who caught the two huge croakers (4.25 lbs) and the other one was using shrimp for bait. He was casting way out in the boat channel, the farthest one from the ramp side. Same for the big spots at Rudee Inlet, the guys who were catching them were throwing way out toward the big white sign with the red lettering. They evidently found the "fishing hole" and were casting to the same spot each time.....Big ones are out there, you just have to get to them....Happy fishing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
HORSECROAKER QUESTIONS

JUST GOT WORD YESTERDAY FROM FISHMAN 'BOUT HIS POSTS - I OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T SEEN THE BOARDS IN A FEW DAYS... SO, IF ANYONE'S LOOKING BACK THIS FAR, HERE GOES: ONION IS ON TARGET WITH THE COPLA ONES THAT APPLY TO ME - THE BAIT (1MOCAST'S QUESTION) WAS A PIECE OF SOME 21-25 SHRIMP FROM LIGHTHOUSE TACKLE SCISSORED UP TO FIT ON A MATSUO 4/0 SICKLE HOOK T.U.E. AT THE END OF A 20# TEST 18IN LDR TO A BARREL W/ A SLIDING 6 OZ BANK SINKER; AFTERNOON PTLY SUNNY, OUTGOING TIDE (INSIDE LESNER/BOAT RAMP SIDE BEACH) CASTING TO PARALLEL THE BRIDGE, DROPPING MID-CHANNEL (TIME THE BOATS COMIN & GOIN!) TO HAVE THE CURRENT SWING IT INTO A STOP (HONEYHOLE) JUST BEFORE REACHING THE UNDERWATER SNAG (OLD BRIDGE CONCRETE FOOTINGS) - AND AT THE TIME, THE 6 OZ'S WAS CARRIED FAIRLY QUICKLY & DIDN'T STAY THERE FOR LONG. A SURPRISE, THE BITE WAS NO DIFFERENT THAN THE NORMAL TAP-TAP OF ANY REGULAR-SIZED CROAKER - BUT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER (PULLING THE ROD TIP SLOWLY BACK TO CHECK) THE RUN WAS A THRILL. FIRST THOUGHTS WITH THE 12 FT MH TEAM DAIWA SURF BENT DOUBLE & 18# TEST CUDA LINE BEING RIPPED OFF THE 4500 EMBLEM XT WAS THAT CLASSIC POWERFUL, FIRST BURST RUN OF A 30 IN PLUS ROCK; BUT THE TELLTALE PUMPING OF A CROAKER SOON FOLLOWED AND EVEN THOUGH THE LINE WAS STRIPPED OUT TWO MORE TIMES ON 20-30 YD RUNS, IT FELT MORE LIKE THE CURRENT MAY HAVE BEEN HELPING A FAIR-SIZED CROAKER FIGHTING TO GET BACK TO THE CONCRETE SNAG... WHICH (NATCH) I DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE HAPPEN - SO THE DRAG WAS CRANKED DOWN TO THE "ARNOLD SWARTZ" RANGE & HE WAS STILL TAKING LINE... QUITE A SURPRISE - ACTUALLY, AFTER PULLING IT ONTO THE BEACH THOUGHT IT WAS A SMALL RED DRUM BY ITS APPEARANCE... NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE ITS FAT 20.5 INCHES! HAD A BALL(!)... AND 30 MINUTES LATER, HORSE ON THE STRINGER, PULSE BACK TO NORMAL BUT STILL ZINGING IN THE HEAD, HIS BUDDY, A 3LB7OZ, DECIDED TO JOIN HIM AFTER THE SAME KINDA FIGHT... COPLA NICE FISH. WEIGHED THEM IN WITH THE FOLKS AT LIGHTHOUSE & THEY TOPPED OFF THE DAY WITH THE NEWS THAT THE 4LB 4 OZ WAS THE SECOND LARGEST CAUGHT IN THE STATE OF VIRGINIA THIS YEAR... 4LB 8OZ IS TOPS SO FAR... BUT THERE'S MORE: NEXT THREE DAYS (YES I WAS OUT THERE DURING THE N'EASTER) SOMETHING (MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT WRITING TO THESE BOARDS, SO I DUNNO HOW TO UNDERLINE ER HIGHLIGHT ER PUT THAT WORD IN RED WITH LIGHTS) SOMETHING - TOOK THE SAME BAIT 'N' I COULDNA KEEP IT OUTTA THE SNAG - THREE SUCCESSIVE 12 FT ROD BENT OVER DAYS RIPPING OFF LINE AND BEATING ME TO THE SNAG FOR BREAKOFFS..... FOLKS, THERE'S A BIG ONE STILL THERE - SAME SPOT... AND HE'S A MONSTER. SEE YA ON THE BEACH....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts