Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know ... I know this is salt water; but I need some help and you guys have done a great job so far. Any ideas???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I us crickets for Bream and I'm getting tired of buying the darn things when I see hundreds in my grarage. How do ya catch these little critters without looking like a mad jackrabbit???
Bill :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try laying a piece of burlap or cardboard on the ground in the general area.The crickets will flock to it for cover.Lift it up and collect your bait.

Capt.Ed

·
Registered
171 Posts
What I do is I spread out news papers with piece of moisten bread in middle...

It worked in past, so give it a try and tell us how you did....

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Try this link: http://forum.insecthobbyist.com/crickets/ $10.00 per thousand.

Or you may want to try the Cricket Chat Room
http://www.insecthobbyist.com/chat/index.html
If you go for the 1000 for $10.00 you can eat what ever might be left over.

Chocolate Covered Crickets
25 adult crickets
Several squares of semisweet chocolate
Prepare the crickets as described above. Bake at 250 degrees until crunchy (the time needed varies from oven to oven). Heat the squares of semi sweet chocolate in a double boiler until melted. Dip the dry roasted crickets in the melted chocolate one by one, and then set the chocolate covered crickets out to dry on a piece of wax paper. Enjoy! This is a little time consuming to make, but definitely worth it...the crickets are deliciously crunchy! :D

Did you Know:

You can figure out the temperature by listening to a cricket's chirp.
What you need
watch with a second hand
cricket (find outside or buy from a live bait shop)
jar
nylon stocking
rubber band
What to do
Catch or buy a cricket and put it in the jar.
Cut a piece of the stocking just larger than the mouth of the jar.
Cover the jar with the piece of stocking and secure it with the rubber band.
Count the number of times the cricket chirps in 15 seconds.
Add 40 to this number.
The number you get is the air temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.
What it's all about
Crickets chirp faster in warm weather than in cold weather. Temperature has a direct effect on many animals, making them more sluggish in the cold. Some animals even hibernate during the winter. Their bodies go into a slowed-down state that requires less energy than normal. Their heart and breathing rates slow, their body temperatures drop and they sleep, surviving off of stored body fat.
Remember, be sure you have a parent, teacher, or other adult help you!

chirping , chirping , chirping , chirping

Do you have one of these: http://www.nmoa.org/Products/EZBait.htm

T<---->--<>Lines

Kozlow

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Advisor!

Try a coffe can with the plastic lid cut in half. Throw a couple of teaspons of cornmeal or crackermeal in the can and lay it on its side (hope you don't have a rodent problem!) Or if you have a cardboard shoe/sneaker box around, cut a one inch square hole in each side of the open end. Turn it upside down, bait it with the cornmeal or crackermeal. If you have an old pair of panty hose laying around, cut them in half and toss them under the box. The bait attracts the crickets (and waterbugs, too) and the little spikes on their legs get caught up in the nylon mesh. You can also buy crickets in bulk from bait farms. Just don't let the young'uns tip the cage....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have another idea---go to a pet store and buy the crickets from them. They sell crickets by the 100s cheap. They are not the black nasty yard crickets - the crickets they sell are meant to be used as pet food, they are light tan in color, a bit smaller in size (perfect for bream), sorta tender. Had good luck with them in the past.

Lou

1 - 8 of 8 Posts