Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your looking to go sport crabbing, look at the latest craze. The CrabHawk is used with a heavy rod/reel/line combo. Response has been incredible. Great for all crabbing from the bank, docks and boats! Check us out at "www.crabhawk.com" :p :p

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Has any one ever used one of these here traps
before.We have blue crabs in the Indian and
Banana rivers but the blue crabs are not as big as the monster in the picture on his web
site. :eek:

T------Lines

Kozlow :eek:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

I'm not totally convinced that the crab(s) shown ARE blueclaws, but its an interesting concept. I've seen some monster blueclaws swimming off the Choptank Pier in the Fall, so there should also be a few jumbos on the bottom, too. Beats hell out of a dipnet with a thirty foot handle....

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Well it's definitly different, at least by Chesapeake standards. The crab shown in the trap is a Dungeness crab. I've eaten them many times at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. For $25.00 I just might buy one and give it a try. It might help pass the time while fishing the Tank. If nothing else, I know I'll get some odd looks from the other fisherman.

Catman. :eek: :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,they are Dungeness, but they work great for Blues, Red Rock and other tasty morsels. nd one of the greatest things about them is that while everybody has to crab/fish close, you get to cast out "where the big ones lay!"
Plus - you'll be a trend setter as it's new to your area.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Catman!

Hell, you ought to be used to the odd looks you get on the pier by now! like you said, it is different....

Off topic, but have you ever heard of Pintail Point. Its close to the Choptank, and has a pond crawling with breeder channel cats left over from the days it was a working farm. I won a stay at the B&B last year, and had a blast catching five to nine pound cats on chicken livers (even caught two hungry largemouths.) Supposedly there are hybrid stripers, too. Its private, all C&R, and the pond is usually used for (ugh) flyfishing practice, but a nicely worded inquiry might get you an invite to tour the pemisis in early April, when the yuppies are still hibernating...

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Jake...
I remember hearing of a catfish pond somewhere around/on Kent Island but could never get any info on it. Do you think this is the same pond? I'd sure like to give that puppy a try.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Joey!

I believe someone said "(ugh)flyfishing"....

Greetings Catman!

Pintail Point is off Route 50 about halfway between the Narrows and the Choptank (the farm is on the Wye River.) Its private, but if you pretend to be interested in a membership you may get an invite. The two days Carol and I were there were about the best days of the last season. I still have some money left on the gift card I won, and Carol and I will be back this April. You can get an idea of the layout at:
www.pintailpoint.com

If you do get an invite, take plenty of chicken livers (figure one pint per hour.) Those cats are ravenous in the Spring....

·
Registered
12 Posts
i work at pintail point n there are huge cats in the pond in big numbers along with alot of crappie, largemouth, hybrid, gills etc..
but it not private, it cost $15.00 to fish for the whole day, its catch n release n we also have charter boat fishing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts