Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago I went to the Choptank and caught a bushel of crabs in 3 hours. You heard it right fellows. Let's hear the crabbing report now. Somebody give us the word. I have a taste for some delicious steamed blue-crustations. :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Do you use a trap to catch those crabs on a pier and are you now required to have a crabbing license?

edit: I also wanted to ask if crabbing is only allowed from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 5PM?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no license

A crabbing license is not required if you don't use more than 10 traps per person. I think the limit is half or a bushel per person. But I didn't have to worry about that since I had my family with me and used a net with a long pole. Traps before sunset or at night I have to check on, but all my crabs were caught with the net so it doesn't apply and I got them during the morning hot sun. Still wondering how? Ask me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hookem, I'd like to know!

So can you tell me how and where on the Tank you were able to scoop these crabs up? I havn't been able to do that since I was a small child. Those where the good old days!!

TIA

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the secret is

You have to have a long pole for your net and you have to get there during the time of the mating season. When they are paired up, they don't move that fast nor do they want to. While they are resting on the pilons, I gently lower my net behind them and scoop them up. That's it. You go from pilon to pilon. It was so much fun and the crabs were delicious. Try it.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts