Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not certain that it will ever happen again, but do you think that this could be the year the "fall run" returns to the DelMarVa coast? I'm talking about stripers running the beach chasing bait and providing some serious fun for us! NJ seems to be having some decent action right now, though it's not sounding like the fish are thick everywhere by any means.

I don't think those fish will make it onto DelMarVa beaches ... the only thing that will make it even remotely possible, IMHO, is having the baitfish getting steered into the shoreline. I'm thinking that could only happen if these W & NW winds die down soon and don't return during the next two weeks!

So, does anyone here have any predictions and/or theories on what will or won't happen?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
well bunker swim into the wind so a W NW wind is going to keep them closer to the coast. I have been fishing NJ a couple times over the last week, I'll be back up in SSP and IBSP again saturday-sunday. My buddy hammered them on tuesday before the blow, the type of fishing most of us dream about. Wednesday was a bust with 8-10ft seas. I doubt the run will really hit our area though. For me I'd rather drive an extra hour and hit NJ.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. Like you said NJ is having a good inshore run right now, which means the first big pulse of fish should be crossing over into Delaware and Maryland around Thanksgiving. If we can get some NE winds blowing warm surface water (and bait) inshore it could happen. My biggest concern is the yearly pillage that Omega engages in near the mouth of the Chesapeake. Historically these fish would turn up into the mouth of the bay and create an awesome fishery from there to the Banks from Thanksgiving to Christmas. But in the last few years they've stayed way offshore where the bunker and the stripers can't be touched. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
@ Flea and @ Fishhead - In the recent years of promising fall runs from the results of NJ fishing, the fish, for whatever reason seem to take the big turn or run and by-pass the DelMarVa going straight off shore or wintering down near VA Beach, again offshore but the last couple of years, even that great fishery as Matt pointed out, has been scarce.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
......... My biggest concern is the yearly pillage that Omega engages in near the mouth of the Chesapeake. Historically these fish would turn up into the mouth of the bay and create an awesome fishery.........
....and it gets worse and worse every year.:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts