Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy neighbors. I usually fish Delmarva waters but am headed to northern OBX around Easter. Can I expect anything to be biting? I hear most beaches are long gradual slopes with few to no breaks or holes for good sized predators to sneak up on the suds. I have 4WD so can go just about anywhere. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
PJDSR,

I will be south of you in South Nags Head about the same time. You will be able to chase stipers, some drum, trout and flounder
that time of year. I have rarely fished up on your end so I would suggest heading south for a day. I spend most of my time at Oregon Inlet out on the north point. The ramp to get to the beach is right across from the Oregon inlet fishing center, just before the bridge. Avalon fishiong pier will also be open and is a great place to check out what is happening on the banks. You can catch the live pier cam and daily fishing reports on the website. Also on the west side of roanoke island is manns harbor bridge. If the stripers are running anywhere they will be there. you can fish from the shore, but the boaters do best there. Hope this helps a little. :) :)

D

·
0 Posts
It's not Corolla, but fairly close...if your staying up that way this may be your best option if you don't want to make the drive south.

There can be some good action around the Army Corps of Engineers pier. Spoons or Hopkins sweetend with either a chartruese or white bucktail work well during the day, plugs at night. Best bet is 2 hours either side of high tide...and even better around dawn or dusk. Blues and trout may be around as well but I would concentrate on the stripers congregating around the structure of the peir. Park in Osprey and walk south to the pier...this is tricky (you can be ticketed) but during the time you want to go there should be little or no tourist or fishing pressure there. There is a bit of a walk to the peir, but it gives you a chance to size up the surf as you approach, some holes are along the way pending on what the most recent storm left behind. Oh yeah, stay off the dunes, there may be unexploded ordinance still there... ;)

There are several piers south of Duck and plenty of spots in the backwater.

If you are interested in the backwater, try

Sefly.com

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks, friends. I haven't wet a line since Nov and am dying to get back out there. I am a definite rookie on OBX, so I'll take all the advice you can give me.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
In Corolla you can do well if you can read the beach. Catch a low tide during the day and mark spots. Then fish hard!!! If you go south the beach becomes more Dynamic. By the way the Engineers pier is in Duck which you will go through on th way to Corolla.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I caught a striper at Duck in August. This was back in '97. Kinda strikes me as wierd now, catching a striper in the surf in the summer. Good fishing there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. I fished Corolla two weeks ago. The weather did not cooperate, cold and windy with 9-ft waves in the surf. Caught one throwback striper. But it beats working!
Bob's bait and tackle on the main drag in Duck is a good source for local info. They even have a surf fishing clinic, which I will have to try the next time I'm down that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts