Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are 100% right about the fine fishing at and below the Conowingo Dam. Although I never fished on top of it, I caught many at the Dam and below it down river. Spring brings all the Hickory Shad and American Shad that your arms can ask for. These buggers will definitely test the drags on your reels especially when light tackle is used. Spring also brings monster Rockfish to the area....it's nothing like reeling in a shad just to have a Rock pick it up and steal it from you. Those 25-35 lbs Rocks feel like hooking onto someone's pickup truck. For you white perch fisherman, this place is your heaven. Two inch chartruese twister on an fire orange jig head will fill any cooler you have. These perch are super jumbo and the females look baby carps (so big and fat). You will catch perch on every cast so make sure to bring plenty of twister tails because they wll tear them up.

For you Rock chasers, when the Dam is not releasing water, topwater plugs in the calm water will put you on keepers fairly quickly. The Conowingo is a great fishery and people need to keep it clean. I see too much trash!!!

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
GT, back when you could keep the shad (pre hurricaine Agnes) we would only keep the the big American (white) shad. Talk about a fight. Bringing in a 5 - 6 lb white in in that current was ligh fighting a freight train. I still go down river a little (Rock Run Landing) in the spring for the big white perch. You're right about their size, like puppy carp. How about we get together then?

Catman.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spring time white perch

Catman, I will definitly keep you in mind when those big perches show up(hell we'll get togther for some shad as well). I remember filling a 5 gallon bucket and counted only like 20 fish. This sure beats fishing for them at the tank with bloodworms. Seems like fish on every cast!!!!!

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
One thing you don't have to worry about at Conowingo is that the SHUNK seldom shows up.:D When the ice is stable there's also some excellent crappie fishing through the ice in Broad Creek and Conowingo Creek above the dam but that was in my younger, foolish days.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Crappies through the ice, on Broad Creek

Do they still do that ?

It's been many a year since I've done anything that foolish.

Maybe I'm due.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Dont forget the HUGE catfish! We used to use shad guts as
bait and fill a sack full of those monsters. There were
plenty of monster carp if you wanted those also.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Above the dam is some of the best smallmouth bass fishing on the east coast. During the 70's I kept a boat at Glen Cove Marina and fished those waters every weekend.

Catman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts